We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Calais to Brussels

Bristol
5 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Calais to Brussels

I am planning a family trip in a car from Calais to Brussels.

can anyone let me know the following:

1.pParking in Brussels. Where can I leave the car for a day trip?

2. Is there a Premier Inn standard hotel enroute to Brussels from Calais?

3. it takes around from 2 hours to Brussels from Calais - are there any traffic times to watch ot for?

4. what is the nearest station/subway as i reach brussels? is it better to leave the car just outside of the city and then get a train into the centre?

thank u

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Calais to Brussels

1 - There are car parks for around 20 euro a day in the center of town or you can park for free out by the Atomium and tale public transport in.

2 - There are hotels all over the place. IBIS is probably a similar standard to premier inn.

3 - Yes, the roads in and around Brussels can be a nightmare, especially around rush hour.

4 - As per my answer to (1). Your call.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,034 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Calais to Brussels

2. I don't know what a Premier Inn standard hotel corresponds to but assuming you mean cheap chain, Ibis Budget (formerly Formule 1) has a map you can use to find a hotel located where you want it, see www.hotelformule1.com/gb/home/index.shtml

If you need to work out the route, you can use www.viamichelin.com

4. It depends on how exactly you approach Brussels, but for the Brussels Expo/Heysel/Atomium area mentioned in 1.1 above, for which you would take Exit 7A from the Brussels Ring (brusselsexpo.be/exen/…accessibility-car.aspx), the car park by the Atomium is next to HEYSEL metro station or if you park further out near the stadium, the terminus of that metro line is ROI BAUDOUIN. It costs €2 per person to travel into town or you can get a 10-trip card for use between a group (e.g. 5 trips in, 5 trips out) for €13 - children under 6 travel free.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels Expo
Brussels Expo
141 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Calais to Brussels

premier is slghly better than an etap more the standard ibis whetever it is called now, look at the accor site. Parking is always expensive but probably ok if you are doing a day trip i would park at heysel and tram metro it in.

Bristol
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Calais to Brussels

Hi thanks for this.

You mentioned Heysel - do you have an address and a rough route to get there from Calais? Also, is the parking there on side streets or an actual car park?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,034 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Calais to Brussels

Could I recommend you read the responses already given, and look up the links provided, before asking questions to which people have already given you answers, or ways of finding out the answers?

I gave you the link to viamichelin to work out the route from France - all you have to do is enter Calais as departure point and Brussels as arrival point and then if you wish, adjust (which you can do by focussing on the map) for the RING EXIT that I also gave you!

AND I gave you a link to the Brussels Expo site, to a page with at least 5 maps indicating access to that area by road, from European to city to local level - on the most local of which, in the bottom left-hand corner, the Atomium, Expo buildings and metro station (M) are all identified, together with STREET NAMES!!!

I also referred to "the CAR PARK by the Atomium" - in fact, it's between the Expo buildings and the Atomium, alongside the tram/metro line, although there is also parking along some of the roads illustrated, as well as car parks you would have to pay for next to the Expo buildings. Heysel is a metro station and an area, it doesn't have an exact address but is on Avenue de l'Impératrice Charlotte/ Kaizerin Charlottelaan. The car park (which serves the Atomium, Kinepolis cinema and Bruparck) is an open space to the South (left on map) of Boulevard du Centenaire/ Eeuwfeestlaan. You are not likely to miss the Atomium, and once you get to that area you will soon see where cars are parked.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels Expo
Brussels Expo
141 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Centenaire
Centenaire
8 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Bristol
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Calais to Brussels

Actually. Forget I asked. If that is the attitude of you people in Belgium, I think I will try another city.

Thanks, but no thanks

Edited: 09 July 2012, 20:57
Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Calais to Brussels

Just reading this, for the same info......seems a bit childish. However, if you ask a question, it's polite to pay attention to the answer!

Leicester, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Calais to Brussels

Superb driving directions qaminari. I've been Brussels many times. I'm going next week, but this time will be my first time driving up from Calais.

You've managed to put my mind to rest :)

Once again,, thank you!

Esher, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Calais to Brussels

Many thanks for the info.

I was trying to work out which would be best way to get to Brussels for the Jazz festival, and driving would mean arriving at about 9pm on Friday night. Sounds like parking at the Atomium till Monday am would be a good bet. I definitely don't fancy tackling Brussels traffic late on a Friday night, or early on a Monday morning!

10. Re: Driving from Calais to Brussels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 06:15