We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip Question

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip Question

My daughter and I are going to make a day trip from Paris and will arrive at Midi/Zuid mid morning. I wanted to visit Cantillon and I see that it doesn't look to far from the station, how is that area for walking around? How long would a walk from there to the Grand Place take? 10-15 minutes? We will depart sometime that evening and I also wanted to know if it would be okay to walk back to the station or should I take public transport. Thanks.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,860 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip Question

10-15 mins to walk to the Cantillon brewery, yes. More like 40 mins to walk to the Grand' Place (the map on the brewery's website - www.cantillon.be/br/Cantillon.php… - is not to scale!).

Neither is a pleasant walk, but there is no need to walk to the GP, your Paris-Brussels Thalys ticket permits you to transfer for free on any train from to Gare centrale (e.g. trains going to the airport), while your Brussels-Paris Thalys ticket covers the same in the opposite direction; and Gare centrale is only 5 mins walk from the GP. Or, you can use the pre-metro - underground tram - lines 3 and 4 from Midi to Bourse, on the opposite side of the GP, for €2 per person buying individual tickets.

Texas
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip Question

Why is the walk to Cantillon not pleasant. I understand not walking 40 minutes to the GP. Bad neighborhood?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,860 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip Question

I didn't say it was a "bad" neighbourhood, which would seem to say something about the people, merely that it was not pleasant. The area on the West (Tour du Midi) side of the Gare du Midi, in particular, is ugly, run down and dirty - the arches by the railway tracks even seem to be used as a public toilet. It's not likely to be dangerous (apart from crossing streets, maybe), just not what you would call a picturesque or pleasurable stroll.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip Question

there is very little of interest to see or distract would be my view it is an urban environment and there are better places to waste your short time. generally my view is get to the destination quickly and then wadte your time more productively. In addition i don't really like the cantillon place, but i have probably been here too long. The best experience in a brewery in BXL i ahve had was the belle vue brewery but i dont know whther they still do tours. You could look it up but it was surprisingly artesanal.

Bat Yam, Israel
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip Question

Looking to spend one day in Gent and Brugge. Would it be enough? Thanks for your answer. Nick ( nickaronov@mail.ru)

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,860 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip Question

Why would you add a question on travelling to Gent and Brugge to a 6-month old question about visiting Brussels from Paris?

And this, according to the times shown, AFTER already adding it to one about visiting Gent and/or Antwerp!

Bat Yam, Israel
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip Question

Sorry, but it was not me asking Q" about Paris to Gent, or Brugge! Nick

8. Re: Day Trip Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2014, 05:15