We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sablon over Xmas week.

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Sablon over Xmas week.

We will be staying at NH du Grand Sablon in the week of Xmas. Which restaurants/ cafes will be open in the vicinity, which most recommended, and why? Thanks.

Also, the hotel has very mixed reviews. Its location did it for me, but should I be worried? Any tips on specific rooms within the hotel?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sablon over Xmas week.

Only Christmas Day itself (a Tuesday this year) is a public holiday in Belgium so otherwise everything is open except that on Christmas Eve many places will close early so that staff can get home for their "Réveillon de Noël" dinner: the celebratory meal here being dinner on 24/12, rather than lunch on 25/12. Virtually all restaurants open on the evening of 24/12 will be serving an expensive, multi-course, fixed price meal for which you would have to book in advance.

I shall be interested to see whether anyone is prepared to carry out a survey for you of the opening and closing days of every restaurant and café in the area over the Christmas period! I happen to know that the Vieux St. Martin will close at 15:00 hrs on 24/12, and otherwise open 7/7 from 10:00 hrs till at least 23:00 hrs. Lola (http://www.restolola.be/) is also normally open 7/7 for lunch and dinner but I don't know its Christmas plans. The Pain Quotidien bakery and café will be closed on Christmas Day and otherwise open more-or-less as normal, i.e. 07:30 (08:00 hrs on Sat/Sun)-19.00 hrs - but closing earlier on 24/12.

Note that many shops in the Sablon/Marolles area are open on Sundays (when the antiques market is on in the Sablon) when shops everywhere else in Brussels are closed, and therefore close on Mondays. Although this year shops in the city centre will be open on Sunday 23rd and I don't know whether those in the Sablon area that would normally close on Mondays will do so on the 24th.

Edited: 13 December 2012, 12:59
Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,013 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sablon over Xmas week.

I don't know if open or not, but in that area I like the previously cited Pain Quotidien for breakfast, light lunch or afternoon coffee and http://www.skievelat.be/sablon.htm for dinner.

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sablon over Xmas week.

Thank you.

Qaminari - I wasn't expecting anyone to carry out a survey on all restaurants in the area. I understand that the restaurant in the hotel is closed while we are there and just want to be assured that we can eat locally. Any recommendations on good better best a bonus.

It's good to hear about Pain Quotidien. Thanks.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,914 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sablon over Xmas week.

It seems no-one else knows what exactly will be open around the Sablon at Christmas, either! However, I discovered that the Midtown Bar and Grill at the Marriott Hotel opposite the Bourse will be open on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, with the following Christmas menu: marriott.com/hotelwebsites/…20BRUDT2012.pdf (from link on http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-information/restaurant/brudt-brussels-marriott-hotel/)

The Bourse is only about 15 mins walk from the Sablon, just beyond the Grand' Place. In fact, around the Christmas market (Bourse, St. Catherine) places are more likely to be open because of people coming here for that and the other activities like big wheel and skating rink - including the temporary café right next to the skating rink. Not to mention the food stalls at the Christmas market itself (tartiflette savoyarde in front of the Bourse..) and to a lesser extent, probably also next to the ski slope on Mont des Arts.

Also, somebody told me today that they think many of the Greek/ Turkish/ Moroccan places in "pitta street" (rue du Marché aux Fromages), 1 block from the GP, will be open.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sablon over Xmas week.

< probably also next to the ski slope on Mont des Arts. >

There is no ski slope this year !

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sablon over Xmas week.

qaminari, thank you! And I noted another post on Xmas which you replied to. I am surprised how difficult it is to find out which Brussels restaurants are open over Xmas, even going to their websites doesn't help.

Edited: 16 December 2012, 21:08
7. Re: Sablon over Xmas week.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 07:16