We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having trouble booking Fyra

Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Having trouble booking Fyra

I am trying to book tickets on the Fyra for Sunday 5th May from Brussels to Amsterdam using b-Europe site. I get all the way to the payment method and then a timer which then sends a message saying "request unsuccessful. Reserving your seats took more time than usual. Please try again. This has happened about 10 times in the past 2 days.

I am not slow using the computer and everything moves along rapidly until I get to the payment page. I have sent them an email re above but wondering if anyone else is having the same problem.

I am buying from Australia and have not previously had any problems.

Can anyone shed some light on this. Thanks

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Having trouble booking Fyra

Do a search for Fyra on this and the Amsterdam forum. At present there are some serious issues with the train and travel could be suspended until further notice. I would suggest keeping an eye on the situation and if not resolved, you could book the Thalys as soon as your travel date opens for sale.

Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Having trouble booking Fyra

Okay thanks for that. I noticed that trains have been suspended for 3 days but thought that was due to the weather.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,658 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Having trouble booking Fyra

It's too early to book for May anyway.

Trains are GENERALLY loaded onto the booking systems 90 days before departure - although with Fyra this may be delayed until the issues surrounding the trains' reliability is solved.

Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Having trouble booking Fyra

The Fyra books 120 days in advance. I have since found out that there are some problems with the new trains and all bookings have been suspended for the time being.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Having trouble booking Fyra

What about exisitng bookings? I have tickets travelling Amsterdam to Brussels 25/03/2013 and returning Bruges to Amsterdam on 26/03/2013. The Belgian train website just mentioned that the service is not available for 3 days due to weather related problems.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Having trouble booking Fyra

< The Belgian train website just mentioned that the service is not available for 3 days due to weather related problems. >

It will be much longer than that. The Fyra trains have serious technical problems and it may be several weeks before they are running again. If they are still out of action in March, a substitute service using conventional trains will be provided.

Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Having trouble booking Fyra

I emailed Mark from Seat 61 and he told me about the ongoing technical problems with the Fyra and suggested to book on the Thalys but they are not open to booking until 90 days out. So I am going to book with them, just to be sure.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,967 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Having trouble booking Fyra

@ThomasGee1: the Belgian Railways site - www.b-europe.com/Travel/Practical/Alerts - says, with respect to the current suspension period up to 21 Jan:

"Fyra strongly advises travellers to postpone their journeys to a later date. Fyra tickets for the suspended train services will be refunded free of charge or can be changed to a later travel date (dates may be subject to availability) without incurring costs.

As an alternative, Fyra tickets are valid on trains from Brussels to Antwerp, from where a bus service is operating to Breda or Roosendaal in The Netherlands (and vice versa). From these stations travellers can get trains to their final destinations. Please take into account, however, that this alternative will result in longer journey times."

So presumably if Fyra service is still suspended in March, these arrangements will apply to you. But as your ticket is already "for a later date", I doubt that they will do anything about it now. If you purchased a fully-flexible ticket, I would ask for a refund and book with Thalys: if not, I suggest you contact whoever you bought it from, e.g. :

- Dutch Railways: nshispeed.nl/en/…ns-hispeed-customer-service

- Belgian Railways: fyra.com/Travel/…20Service

While the official suspension results from specific difficulties with snow accumulating under the trains and then freezing and knocking off bits of the undercarriage (cf http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/high-speed/no-end-in-sight-for-fyra-train-problems.html?channel=542) there have in fact been constant problems ever since Fyra was introduced on this route in mid-December, when it wasn't snowing! See for example deredactie.be/cm/…1.1504356

What the situation will be in March, we don't know.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Having trouble booking Fyra

The below link mentions how political choices affected the decision on the FYRA. However, the good thing is, it also mentions that they're seriously considering bringing back the IC and they want a permanent alternative solution by the end of the month.

dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2013/01/high-spee…

10. Re: Having trouble booking Fyra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 07:17