We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels to Paris - train or bus?

Kerala
Level Contributor
6 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Brussels to Paris - train or bus?

I was recently told that the Thalys is track between Brussels and Paris is poor and bus is the better option. We are travelling in April and would like to hear the pros and cons of each option. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
22,687 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels to Paris - train or bus?

Who told you that and what reason did they give for saying so?

Trains between Brussels and Paris are dedicated, purpose-built high-speed trains, they run on a dedicated, purpose-built high-sped rail line throughout virtually the whole journey, and run from city centre to city centre in less than 90 minutes.

I cannot see any way except price in which a bus journey would be superior - and if you book in advance you can get some pretty good train fares.

www.thalys.com

Edited: 14 February 2013, 12:55
Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Kerala
Level Contributor
6 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels to Paris - train or bus?

This was from someone living in Brussels. She said that the there are some issues with the track because of which bus is the better option. I am not too sure about the specifics. I had wanted her to book our tickets on Thalys as I could not book our specific combination of our tickets online.

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels to Paris - train or bus?

< She said that the there are some issues with the track because of which bus is the better option >

This is not true at all. As wirewiper said in post 1, the only possible advantage of the bus (for some people) is that it may be cheaper. It is much slower and less comfortable. The train takes only 1 hour 25 minutes between Brussels and Paris.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Kerala
Level Contributor
6 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels to Paris - train or bus?

Thank you. So that settles it for me that Thalys is definitely the way to go!

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,175 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brussels to Paris - train or bus?

this person might be thinking about Fyra train between Brussels and Amsterdam, which indeed had lots of problems and it's suspended for the moment. But Thalys is a pretty good train, smooth.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,344 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brussels to Paris - train or bus?

Due to Infrastructure maintenance, there is some reduction of service on the Paris/Brussels route. See below link for more info.

www.thalys.com/fr/en/traffic-info…

Edited: 15 February 2013, 16:50
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
483 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brussels to Paris - train or bus?

This concerns VERY limited number of trains, and will be noticed when booking via a booking engine on line.

Apart from cost reasons, there is absolutely no need to look for alternatives to Thalys trains. Luckily these work very well for many years.

Kerala
Level Contributor
6 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brussels to Paris - train or bus?

Thank you! That explains it then.

9. Re: Brussels to Paris - train or bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 06:17