We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need passport

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need passport

I am not a citizen of any EU country. Do i need to carry my passport to travel on the train from Brussels to Amsterdam and Cologne.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need passport

Yes of course you do. As you aren't a citizen of an EU country that issues national ID cards (e.g. the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany), the only valid ID document for travelling between these countries is a passport issued by the country of which you are a citizen (while there are no systematic passport checks within Schengen, spot checks are always possible).

But in any case, you should already have it on you when departing from Brussels, given that you are legally obliged to carry your passport at all times while in Belgium - just as locals, over the age of 12, have to carry their Belgian ID/ residence cards. And while it goes beyond the remit of this particular forum, the same goes for the Netherlands (…usconsulate.gov/id/mandatory-identification…); I believe that in Germany it's not a legal requirement so if you prefer you could carry a photocopy while in that country - but on departure from/arrival in Belgium you have to be carrying the actual passport anyway.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need passport

< Do i need to carry my passport to travel on the train from Brussels to Amsterdam and Cologne. >

Yes.

<< I believe that in Germany it's not a legal requirement so if you prefer you could carry a photocopy while in that country >>

As far as I know it is not strictly required in Germany, but is strongly advisable. A photocopy of a passport is useless for any official purpose, as it would be a trivial matter to falsify it.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need passport

Bring it - as Qaminari says, you are technically required to, and several friends of mine have had their passport checked on the train lately.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need passport

< you are technically required to >

It is not a "technicality" at all. It is a matter of law.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need passport

Of course you should carry it while taking trains around Europe to different countries.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
102 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need passport

Yes, you are legally required to carry your passport. You may not be asked for it. I am not a citizen of any EU or Schengen country, so I need to carry the residence permit issued to me by the country I am residing in addition to my passport. I was asked for the former only though at the hotels I have stayed in, not my passport even though I offered to show it.

7. Re: Do I need passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2014, 06:17