We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child train fare in Belgium?

Washington DC
8 posts
Save Topic
Child train fare in Belgium?

Hi,

I'm taking my two kids (6 & 10) to visit Brussels and Amsterdam in next couple weeks.

I need your help on couple questions.

- From the SNCB website, I found out child under 12 years old travel free in Belgium, and only 2.5 euro in Netherlands. Is this fare only for local resident? Or also applies to visitors?

- From Brussels to Amsterdam, the train is THALYS. Is reservation required for it? And looks like I can't get online reservation, how much in advance I need to make the reservation? Since I will only have 3 days in Brussels before go to Amsterdam.

- For public transportation in Brussels city, is there a discount fare for child under 12?

Thank you very much for you help!

Sherrilina

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Child train fare in Belgium?

1. See belgianrail.be/en/…ticket-child.aspx - "child tickets" apply based only on the age of the child, not place of residence. However, the Belgianrail site, and this fare, both apply only to train trips within Belgium, not for international journeys.

For questions about the Netherlands see tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g188553-i58-The_Ne…

2. Thalys is high-speed possibility between Brussels and Amsterdam, and yes reservation is required (although you can also do this journey by non-high-speed trains, changing in Antwerp and Roosendaal/Rotterdam). Of course you can purchase tickets online, either from www.thalys.com (if you want to go by Thalys) or from the international part of Belgian Railways site (whether Thalys or non-high-speed IC trains), which is www.b-europe.com/Travel - up to 3 months in advance for Thalys, I think no more than 1 month for non-high-speed trains. Purchasing international tickets online avoids the administrative fee that applies to purchase of such tickets at a Belgian station, which is €7 for journeys involving Thalys, €3.50 in other cases (per purchase, not per ticket)..

3. No. On STIB, children under 6 travel free, but over that age they pay adult fare unless they have a card that can only be obtained by residents of the Brussels Region.

Washington DC
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Child train fare in Belgium?

Hi,

Thank you very much for you info. I understand the free fare for child only within Belgium. Since I plan to take them to visit Bruges, so I guess they can get a free ride! :)

Thanks again!

Washington DC
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Child train fare in Belgium?

Hi qaminari,

I have another question, for non-high-speed trains from Brussels to Amsterdam, like the one changing in Antwerp and Roosendaal/Rotterdam, is that possible I break the journey one or two times, say stop by at Antwerp and/or Rotterdam for couple hours then continue?

Thank you very much!

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Child train fare in Belgium?

< is that possible I break the journey one or two times >

Yes. If you have a ticket for Brussels to Amsterdam, you can break the journey as often as you like along the route, as long as you complete the whole journey in the same day.

Washington DC
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Child train fare in Belgium?

Great, thank you very much for the info!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Child train fare in Belgium?

Slight qualification in case someone misunderstands for future application: you can indeed break the journey at Antwerp (because you have to change from domestic to international train here) and Rotterdam (because in the Netherlands it seems you can break a journey as often as you want), but you couldn't stop off between Brugge and Antwerp because it isn't permitted to interrupt domestic train journeys within Belgium (without ensuring that you have the correct ticket for this i.e. VIA ticket or 2 separate ones)!

Washington DC
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Child train fare in Belgium?

Thanks for your clarification.

Here is my tentative route, can you please help me to confirm if following route works? Just try not to miss anything here.

07:42h Brussel Noord/Bruxelles Nord 08:22h Antwerpen Centraal IC 2006

08:47h Antwerpen Centraal 10:32h Den Haag HS Benelux 1218

10:43h Den Haag HS 11:32h Amsterdam Centraal IC 2639

So #1, I can take off at Antwerpen and stay for couple hours before continue my journey, correct?

#2, since the train ticket I will get based on above route is a direct train from Antwerpen to Den Haag, so when I continue my journey back from Antwerpen, I have to take a direct train again? What if only connecting train between Antwerpen and Den Haag available?

Thank you!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Child train fare in Belgium?

1) Yes, if you have found these trains in the timetable (for a Sat/Sun), the route works, and so does through-ticketing, because Den Haag is on the route to Amsterdam, whether you stop there or not, and irrespective of which trains you take.

It would cost the same whether you took the trains you mention or changed at Roosendaal onto IC2639, stopping at Dordrecht - Rotterdam Blaak - Rotterdam Centraal - Schiedam Centrum - Delft - Den Haag HS - Den Haag Laan van NOI - Leiden Centraal - Schiphol (Airport) - Amsterdam Lelylaan - Amsterdam Sloterdijk - Amsterdam Centraal and whether only stopping at Den Haag or also at e.g. Rotterdam, along this line.

2) Your ticket is based on the route and not on the use of specific trains, therefore with a return Brussels-Amsterdam, Amsterdam-Brussels ticket, you are perfectly entitled on the outward journey to stop (on the same day) at Antwerp and Den Haag; and on the return journey, to make different stops, e.g. at Rotterdam and Roosendaal (again, on the date of the return portion of your ticket). It would be different if you were making a detour e.g. to Utrecht, but the line you would be on is the same in both directions, and in the Netherlands you can get on and off (or not) wherever you like along the route. You don't have to take identical trains, in reverse, to the ones you took between Brussels and Amsterdam.

See map on bonjourlafrance.com/france-trains/european-t… (even if this is for Thalys: the only difference in route is that it doesn't show Roosendaal, the first stop in the Netherlands after Antwerp, because it doesn't stop there)

Washington DC
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Child train fare in Belgium?

Thank you so much for the detailed information. It's so grateful to have you and others here to help us the visitors for those local information.

10. Re: Child train fare in Belgium?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 06:20