We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advise for train tickets

CORONA
Level Contributor
172 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
advise for train tickets

Hello, just need the advise . We will be in Brussels for 3,5 days and are planing to visit several places by train. Will have F<SA,SU anf Monday for this. Is any better way to get some kind train pass to use for this time? Or just better to buy separate tickets? I was told that weekend train ticket is half price. Thanks

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,413 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advise for train tickets

A weekend RETURN ticket is (almost) half the price of a normal return, so for example if you want to go to Brugge, on a weekday you would pay €13.80 for a standard single, and €27.60 return; whereas a weekend ticket costs €14.80.

SINGLE tickets, on the other hand, cost the same irrespective of the day of the week - so you would not save anything if making a triangular journey e.g. Brussels-Antwerp-Brugge-Brussels, which would be 3 single trips. They can, however, cost less in July/August when Belgian Railways usually offers a "summer deal" (last year, €7.50) and you don't say when you are coming. You also don't say how many "we" might be, which affects potential interest in Rail Pass/group rates, or whether any of you might be seniors (65+) or youths (under 26), or even what these "several places" might be....

However, if you are here Friday to Monday, you could certainly do one return trip on Saturday and another on Sunday, using weekend tickets. Unless you would be going further than Brugge (e.g. to Ieper, €18), a weekend ticket is likely to cost less than 2 trips using a 10-trip Rail Pass - which costs €76: so using this it would cost €7.60 per single trip, €15.20 per return trip.

CORONA
Level Contributor
172 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advise for train tickets

Thanks, my husband and me are will be there July 20thfor weekend and we re over65, so maybe even save for that. Thank you very much

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,413 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advise for train tickets

Yes, if you had provided that information you would have saved me the trouble of mentioning any of the other options, given that a Seniors ticket costs only €6 flat-rate whether used as a single or day return, on any day of the week! There are a few caveats, see belgianrail.be/en/…seniors-ticket.aspx

Edited: 21 May 2013, 22:13
CORONA
Level Contributor
172 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advise for train tickets

Thank you very much,

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,572 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advise for train tickets

< There are a few caveats >

... including - unfortunately from the OPs' perspective - that Seniors Tickets are not valid on most Saturdays and Sundays during July and August http://www.belgianrail.be/en/travel-tickets/tickets/~/media/08065834A77F40D6AEB1A0E5625805F2.ashx : dates coloured purple on the calendar

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,413 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advise for train tickets

For weekends in July, it will be necessary to determine which option is cheaper for the trip concerned: the weekend return ticket (if travelling AB-BA) or the summer deal ticket costing €7.50 single, which will be available from 24 June 2013 until the end of August: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188634-i204-k6542…

CORONA
Level Contributor
172 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advise for train tickets

thanks

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,413 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advise for train tickets

Sorry, have to correct myself! I forgot momentarily that you can't use the summer deal ticket at weekends anyway, so it is always the weekend return rate that is going to be the cheapest during the period (July and August) when Seniors tickets can't be used at weekends.

CORONA
Level Contributor
172 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advise for train tickets

we are planing to spend one of weekend to go to Ghent and Antwerpen. Do we need to buy 2separate tickets or can be one round trip? Visit one town and then go to another?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,413 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: advise for train tickets

You can do a triangular journey - although frankly visiting both theses cities is a lot for one day - but you cannot do the whole journey on the same train ticket, and neither can you use weekend return tickets (which require you to travel AB-BA, not ABCA).

You would either have to buy 3 separate tickets (Brussels-Antwerp €7.10, Antwerp-Ghent €9.20, Ghent-Brussels €8.70) or you can buy one VIA ticket - which costs the same price as 2 separate tickets (i.e. Brussels-Ghent via Antwerp, €16.30; Brussels-Antwerp via Ghent, €17.90) - and a separate ticket to return to Brussels. That makes a total of €25 each, €50 in total for 6 trips (2 persons); if you were doing more expensive trips during the weekend in question, without using weekend return tickets, and/or 4 more trips over this weekend when Senior tickets aren't available, it could after all be worth buying the 10-trip Rail Pass for €76.

Coming from Brussels, you arrive in Ghent at Gent St. Pieters and will have to take tram #1 direction Evergem to the city centre so you need to add €1.20 per trip for that on top of the rail fare. That's if purchased from a machine at the tram stop, or De Lijn office outside Gent St. Pieters station: if you have to buy it from the tram driver it costs €2 each way. Coming from Antwerp, you can get off at Gent-Dampoort (on a different, North-South line whereas Brussels-Ghent-Brugge is East-West) which is slightly closer to the centre,