We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gare du Nord Train Station

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
432 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Gare du Nord Train Station

We plan on basing ourselves in Brussels and doing day trips to Bruges, Antwerp, and Gent. Our hotel is quite near Gare du Nord and I have mastered the NMBS/SNCB website. However, I am confused over one thing. For each of the trains we plan on taking, the following information is provided:

Walk from NOORDSTATION/GARE DU NORD [STIB/MIVB] to Bru.-Noord / Brux.-Nord [NMBS/SNCB] .

Allow about 7 minutes to get there..

Does this mean there are two stations (STIB/MIVB versus NMBS/SNCB) or just different tracks within the same station?

Thank you!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,597 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gare du Nord Train Station

No it's a peculiarity of the system that it tries to allow some time (usually far too much!) to walk from one part of the station, e.g. street entrance, to another part, e.g. platform.

You might find it easier to use this website http://www.railtime.be/website/train-schedule - it belongs to Infrabel, the Belgian equivalent of Amtrak, i.e. it runs the track, not the trains. Unlike the belgianrail site, it only covers trains so you don't get long lists of bus-stops as well as stations.

Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
432 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gare du Nord Train Station

Than you so very much for the information. I just used the suggested website and it is far easier and useful than the one I was using. I am so grateful for the many individuals who give so generously of their time to help others plan the best trip possible.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,667 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gare du Nord Train Station

< Walk from NOORDSTATION/GARE DU NORD [STIB/MIVB] to Bru.-Noord / Brux.-Nord [NMBS/SNCB] ... Does this mean there are two stations (STIB/MIVB versus NMBS/SNCB) >

Noordstation/Gare du Nord [STIB/MIVB] is the metro (subway) station underneath Bru.-Noord / Brux.-Nord [NMBS/SNCB] which is the (train) station Gare du Nord.

STIB/MIVB is the Brussels public transport network; NMBS/SNCB is the Belgian national railway system.

Edited: 07 July 2013, 20:39
Old Field, New York
Level Contributor
432 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gare du Nord Train Station

Thank you. I now fully understand.

5. Re: Gare du Nord Train Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 06:18