We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruges and Ghent Day Trip from Brussels

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bruges and Ghent Day Trip from Brussels

Hello, we are staying 4 nights in Brussels at the end of September and would like to take a day trip to Ghent and Bruges by train. Just need an advise if it is a good idea to see two cities in one day or we need more time for each city. I know Viator provide one day trip to both cities by bus, but we want to do it on our own.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bruges and Ghent Day Trip from Brussels

You could certainly do both cities yourself in a single day by train; they are on the same train line, so if you go to Bruges you'd be passing through Ghent anyway. If you leave first thing in the morning from Brussels, you'd have enough time to spend a few hours in each town and get back to Brussels late. But it would probably feel a bit rushed.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bruges and Ghent Day Trip from Brussels

I wouldn't recommend it, partly because while you can walk into the centre from Brugge station, at Ghent you have to take into account that you need to go in and out by tram from/to Gent St. Pieters station. But of course it depends on what you want to do.

At any rate, if you decide to do this, bear in mind that you cannot simply buy a train ticket from Brussels to Brugge - or vice versa - and hop off in Ghent (or rather you can, but you can't then get on another train to "continue" your interrupted journey!). You need to buy either separate tickets in the direction in which you want to stop off (i.e. Brussels-Ghent, Ghent-Brugge, Brugge-Brussels; or Brussels-Brugge, Brugge-Ghent, Ghent-Brussels) or else a VIA ticket in the direction you want to interrupt, i.e. Brussels-Brugge VIA Ghent or Brugge-Brussels VIA Ghent - which costs the same as 2 separate tickets (€15) and a bit more than a through ticket (€13.80).

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bruges and Ghent Day Trip from Brussels

Thanks for your feedback, qaminari. I am wondering how far is Ghent downtown/centre from Gent St. Pieters station. Should we take public transportation or a taxi to save some time to get there? Do you have any idea how much a taxi ride would cost?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bruges and Ghent Day Trip from Brussels

I don't think a taxi would be any faster than the tram - it might depend on exactly where you are going - but for cost see taxiautofare.com/be/taxi-fare/Ghent-taxi-far… which says €8-€10 (I have no idea how accurate this is).

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bruges and Ghent Day Trip from Brussels

We just came back from vacation and the answer to my own question - it is NOT a good idea to visit Bruges and Ghent on the same day. We spent one full day in Bruges and one full day in Ghent and there are so much to see and so many things to do... In my opinion these two cities should not be missed while visiting Belgium...

6. Re: Bruges and Ghent Day Trip from Brussels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 05:16