We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruges/Brussels...timings?

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Bruges/Brussels...timings?

Hi all,

Was looking for some advice please.

We fly into Charleroi on a Friday in December. Plane lands 10am-ish. We fly back on the Sunday at 2:05pm.

Originally I had planned to stay in Bruges the whole weekend however I am now thinking I would ave to leave pretty early on the Sunday to get back to airport for check in (midday) so thought about staying in Brussels hotel and spending the whole of the Saturday in Bruges as I understand the last train is fairly late.

Just wondering if anybody had any advice beore I booked hotel? Purpose of break is just to getaway, some shopping and sampling of beer/choc - no specific sights etc.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,867 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bruges/Brussels...timings?

The last train from Brugge to Brussels on a Saturday is at 23:05, arr. Bruxelles-Central 00:09 hrs, so you can certainly leave Brugge in the evening; trains stop at Midi, Central and Nord and Gare centrale is the best area of these to stay in.

Nevertheless, barring accidents or incidents (and I understand your desire to be closer to CRL the night before!), you can also get to Charleroi from Brugge in time for your flight on the Sunday. The train takes 2h21 (with a change at Bruxelles-Midi), departing Brugge at 59 mins past each hour: so for example, the 10:59 would get you to Charleroi-Sud at 13:20, with plenty of time to take a taxi (€20, 10 mins) to CRL if by any chance there is no conveniently timed bus (TEC bus A: €5). Or you could depart at 09:59 to arrive at 12:20 with even more of a margin.

Combi ticket costs €20.10 from Brugge station, and you might as well buy it even if not sure whether you would be taking the local bus, because it is actually cheaper than a standard single ticket to Charleroi-Sud station only (€20.60).

Of course this would be irrelevant if you have already purchased a Brussels City Shuttle ticket from Bruxelles-Midi which goes direct to CRL, but if you haven't, it will cost either €10 or €14 purchased online: when I looked the other day it was not possible to get the lowest advertised €5 rate until 24/12/13. If you were to buy tickets on the spot from the bus driver, it costs €17.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
120 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bruges/Brussels...timings?

Wow,that's fantastic info, thanks very much indeed for such a detailed reply.

3. Re: Bruges/Brussels...timings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 06:20