We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Really Short Trip

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
Level Contributor
193 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
A Really Short Trip

We will be arriving from amster by train on 26th may afternoon n will be leaving for morocco on the 27th may 10.00 pm by plane. Can u advise us :

1. Must visit in a short period of time

2. Must buy or do in the city

Tq in advance

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: A Really Short Trip

Killertan,

Do you have any favorite things to do/see?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
193 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Really Short Trip

Well i really love nature, n photography anything colorful n vibrant that i can take photo will do. Also i like food hehe

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A Really Short Trip

I know this is the Brussels forum, but if you have not yet booked your night there maybe you should reconsider the place where you want to spend your one day in Belgium. Nature is something you will not find in any Belgian city, but you could at least spend the one night (and day) in a more picturesque place.

You could for instance take the train from Amsterdam to Gent or Brugge, and the next day take the train straight to the airport in Brussels from there. You'll spent some extra time traveling, but in your case it might be worth it. (From your plans I gather you don't mind a busy schedule...)

Some extra thoughts:

* If you go to Brugge, you could do a quick side trip to Damme for some photography of a typical along the canal.

* On the way back to the airport (maybe plan a quick one hour stop in Brussels (Central station) to visit the Grote Markt / Grand Place, the one "must see" in Brussels.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,854 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Really Short Trip

You don't say which type of train you are coming on, which determines which station it arrives at (Thalys, Gare du Midi; IC, Nord, Central and Midi), or which hotel you are staying at. For such a short visit, this would ideally be near Gare centrale, which is 5 mins walk from the Grand' Place.

Apart from the GP, there is no "must-visit" in Brussels, and I can't imagine that anything anywhere qualifies as a "must-buy"; even Belgian chocolates, for example, are widely available elsewhere. Apart from the fact that 26 May 2014 is a Monday, so museums are closed, you can choose what you would like to do, based on your own tastes, interests and priorities, from e.g. tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188644-Activiti… - bearing in mind that the most central "attractions", all within walking distance of each other, are the GP, Galeries St. Hubert, Mannekin Pis (if you consider this an attraction) and Cathedral,

Malaysia
Level Contributor
193 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Really Short Trip

We are staying very close to the grand palace, n we are arriving by thalys. I heard theres this place where all of these blue flower blooming around april but not sure about it. Do u think would it be possible to go to bruges? But i dunmo what is bruges attraction would be (or is it worth)

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,854 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Really Short Trip

We don't have a "grand palace" in Brussels, but a Grand' Place, i.e. big (main/ market) square. If coming from Amsterdam by high-speed Thalys, this terminates at Gare du Midi but you can use your ticket on any local train, e.g. those going to the airport, to continue to Gare centrale if your hotel is on that side of the Grand' Place. If it is on the opposite side of the square, it would be better to take the metro (€2.10) to Bourse or De Brouckère. I suggest you look on your hotel's website as they usually have a map showing where they are.

The forest (Hallerbos) where bluebells flower in April and possibly early May is near Halle, which is about 20 km outside Brussels, and is not easily accessible by public transport. But in any case there will be no bluebells to be seen at the end of May.

There is nothing stopping you from visiting Brugge, whether instead of Brussels, as described in #3 (unless perhaps you have already bought a train ticket Amsterdam-Brussels) or by day trip on 27 May, as it takes 1 hr by train from Gare centrale. You could depart on e.g. the 10:00 train arr. Brugge 10:59 and return to Brussels on the 16:01, 16:36, 17:01 or even 17:36 train, this last arr. Gare centrale 18:39, leaving time to collect luggage you would have left there in the morning and take the 19:19, 19:34, or 19:52 airport train to be at the airport 3 hrs before your flight. A return ticket Brussels-Brugge-Brussels would cost €28.20 and from Brussels to BRU (airport), €8.50; or you could buy a single ticket Brussels-Brugge for €14.10 and a ticket from Brugge to Brussels Airport, changing trains in Brussels, for €20.60 - the price is of course the same in both cases, i.e. €36.70.

As for what you might do in Brugge, you will no doubt read up on that in order to decide whether you want to go there in the first place (e.g. using http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188671-Activities-Bruges_West_Flanders_Province.html): but the canal boats will be running.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 12:11
Malaysia
Level Contributor
193 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Really Short Trip

Qaminari,

got any tips on how we can get to the bluebells? easy n cheap?

tq

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,438 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Really Short Trip

>>But in any case there will be no bluebells to be seen at the end of May.<<

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Really Short Trip

i wouls go to grand place, mannekin pis, rou des bouchers and the galeries royale maybe sablon if you have time.if you can only manage one the GP and around there with a decent meal and some beer.

10. Re: A Really Short Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 05:19