We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is one day enough to see Brussels?

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Is one day enough to see Brussels?

Hello all, I will be in Antwerp on business next week (4 nights, with 2 half days for sight-seeing) then heading to Brussels for 2 nights before heading back to the US.

I am thinking of using one of my days in Brussels to take the train to Brugges. It appears that we can see most of the major sights in Brussels (i.e. Grand Place, Manneken-Pis, etc. ) in one day. Would you Brussels experts agree with that? I don't want to short-change Brussels, but I also don't know if I will get back to Belgium any time soon!

If so, how long will the train take to Brugges? I'll go on the Brugges forum to figure out how many hours to spend there and what are the "must-see's."

Finally, we are staying at the Marriott in Brussels. Any suggestions for good pubs or cafes near there? We (my husband will be accompanying me) enjoy good food in a casual atmosphere, and trying different beers and wines.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,263 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is one day enough to see Brussels?

Yes, if you only want to visit the Grand' Place area and no museums or anything (Atomium, Chinese Pavilion, Japanese Tower..) outside that area - of course you would be "short-changing Brussels" given the amount there is to see, but you should decide on the basis of your own tastes and many visitors apparently see no more than the GP itself.

The Marriott is opposite the Bourse building in an area where there are many bars, in particular around nearby Place St. Géry (tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188644-d2…).

The train to Brugge takes 1 hr - to which, starting at Bourse, you need to add the time needed to get to Gare du Nord or Gare du Midi by metro lines 3/4 or to walk (uphill) to Gare centrale. Asking about "must-sees" is in my opinion missing the point, as I think the best thing to do in Brugge is walk around soaking up the atmosphere - especially as canal boats are not running in the winter. But if you must have a list, you will find one under tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188671-Activiti…

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is one day enough to see Brussels?

in principle if you dont venture outside the centre i think a day is enough for a sprint round a limited no of places. Not much time to relax and soak up a few beers but enough

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is one day enough to see Brussels?

Thanks for your replies! I think we will take each day as it comes...if we feel like just hanging out in Brussels, we will. If we feel like being a bit more ambitious, we'll hop the train to Brugges. We are avid walkers and enjoy soaking up the local architecture, culture, etc. so we'll see how much of Brussels we see on day one, before deciding what to do on day two. I appreciate your advice.

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is one day enough to see Brussels?

We ended up spending both days in Brussels, it is a lovely city! Plenty to keep us busy, including some shopping for me today. I left Mr jtwiz in one of your many fine pubs while I kept the local economy going. LOL. I particularly enjoyed browsing the antique stores in the Sablon area. We walked all over the city (rain or no rain...) and took tons of photos. We had a great dinner at La Villette opposite Sainte Catherine's church. Excellent service and food. And we found that we could walk just about anywhere from the Marriott. Thanks again for the advice!

5. Re: Is one day enough to see Brussels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2015, 05:19