We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JUMP tickets

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
382 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
JUMP tickets

I understand that I can buy a book of 10 tickets for 13.50 Eu for 10 trips.

As I will be staying 2 tram stops from Gare du Midi and will be making day trips to Antwerp, Bruges and Ghent, this will take up about 10 trips just commuting between Gare Centrale and Bourse.

However I understand that my accommodation is within 15 mins walking distance from the Grand Palace and the other touristic sights. So all I need is actually between Bourse and Gare Centrale to take the train to Antwerp, Bruges and Ghent.

Should I buy a JUMP ticket upon arrival so as to save me the hassle of buying tickets everyday for 5 days?

The Senior tickets @ 6 Eu return can be used to travel from Brussels to Antwerp, Gheng, Bruges so long as it is after 9 am. What about the return to Brussels ? Must the return be after e.g. 7 pm on a weekday?

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,448 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JUMP tickets

<I understand that I can buy a book of 10 tickets for 13.50 Eu for 10 trips>

It is actually one ticket that you can use 10 times. Cost is now €14.

<So all I need is actually between Bourse and Gare Centrale to take the train to Antwerp, Bruges and Ghent>

You may find it easy enough to walk between Bourse and Gare Centrale - perhaps 10 minutes on foot via the Grand-Place.

<Should I buy a JUMP ticket upon arrival so as to save me the hassle of buying tickets everyday for 5 days?>

A 10-trip card is cheaper than buying 10 separate single tickets: €2.10 for a single ticket; €14 for a 10-trip card.

<The Senior tickets @ 6 Eu return can be used to travel from Brussels to Antwerp, Ghent, Bruges so long as it is after 9 am.>

Yes.

<Must the return be after e.g. 7 pm on a weekday?>

You can return anytime you like on the same day.

belgianrail.be/en/…seniors-ticket.aspx - Click on the link under "Practical Information".

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,938 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JUMP tickets

The STIB 10-trip card isn't a "book of tickets", it's a single card that you can stamp up to 10 times, each time for up to 60 mins travel - and current cost is €14 (www.stib-mivb.be/10-voyages-ritten.html?l=en). JUMP just means the paper version - as opposed to Mobib, which is the plastic version - and doesn't refer specifically to the 10-trip card. You can get other JUMP cards, including a single-trip ticket, so make sure you select what you actually want.

If you are staying 2 tram stops from Gare du Midi (Anneessens), you would surely depart from Gare du Midi, not Gare centrale. In any case, you can't take a metro to Gare centrale from Bourse, you would have to walk up to De Brouckère (Bd. Anspach opposite ChiChi's) for take metro line 1; so it would be better to take (pre-)metro lines 3/4 to Gare du Midi (or even Nord), where you can catch all the same trains to Antwerp, Ghent and Brugge.

Whichever train station you use, if you would be making 2 trips a day on the metro (or tram or bus) for 3 days, that makes 6 trips which, buying individual tickets @ €2.10 each, would cost €12.60. So you would only have to be making 1 more trip on STIB, e.g. on arrival/departure, to make it worth buying the 10-trip card for €14 as soon as you arrive in Brussels. Not to mention saving time.

All the Seniors Ticket conditions are on http://www.belgianrail.be/en/travel-tickets/tickets/~/media/C5502E34634042B2A1B101177B9B2111.ashx - there is no restriction with respect to the time of return, except of course that it has to be on the same date as the outward journey. Most commuters travel into Brussels in the morning and out in the evening, but there are plenty in the opposite direction. Whichever your direction of travel, of course the trains are more crowded at commuting times, and the evening rush starts (with schoolchildren and students) around 15:30/16:00 and continues until around 19:00 hrs; so you may in any case want to travel later than that to avoid it.

3. Re: JUMP tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 06:22