We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail Pass Questions

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
43 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Rail Pass Questions

My wife and I will be in Belgium for 10 days. We're planning on staying in Gent and taking day trips to a number of cities. Thanks to all the information people have provided on this forum, it seems the Rail Pass (10 journeys for 76 Eu) is the best way to minimize our train costs. Three questions:

I'm planning on buying the Pass at the Brussels airport when we arrive and use it to transfer to Gent. My understanding is that will be trip a piece for my wife. Is that correct?

Am I also correct that I'll need to buy a Diablo tickets in addition to the Rail Pass, because we're traveling from the airport?

I see from the railway website you can buy the Rail Pass at a machine or a ticket office. If I try the machine, will it be called a "Rail Pass" or another be referred to by another name on the purchase selections I'm given?

Thanks in advance.

It looks to me like the

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail Pass Questions

<I'm planning on buying the Pass at the Brussels airport when we arrive and use it to transfer to Gent. My understanding is that will be trip a piece for my wife. Is that correct?>

A Rail Pass has 10 lines on which you enter the details of each trip made by each user. Your journey from Brussels Airport to Gent with your wife will use up 2 lines - one for each of you.

belgianrail.be/en/…rail-pass.aspx

belgianrail.be/en/…complete-pass.aspx

<Am I also correct that I'll need to buy Diablo tickets in addition to the Rail Pass, because we're traveling from the airport?>

Yes belgianrail.be/en/travel-tickets/tickets/dia…

<I see from the railway website you can buy the Rail Pass at a machine or a ticket office. If I try the machine, will it be called a "Rail Pass" or another be referred to by another name on the purchase selections I'm given?

I don't know. I have only ever bought a Rail Pass at a ticket office. "Rail Pass" is its official name, so I imagine the machine calls it that.

Using a Rail Pass, each trip you make will cost you €7.60 each; for short journeys, standard tickets will be cheaper. It may be wise to check the cost of standard tickets for the journeys you plan to make http://www.belgianrail.be/en/Default.aspx

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,639 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail Pass Questions

I've only ever bought mine from a machine - though not one of the new machines that take credit cards - and it's called Rail Pass! It is a common technique in Belgium to use English to avoid having to use different titles in French and Dutch (cf. "key card"): unfortunately, this one can be confused with a generic expression in English but it's the specific title, in all languages, for this 10-trip rail card.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
43 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail Pass Questions

Colin56,

Thanks for the feedback. Given our plans it looks like I'd save about 10 Euros by buying the Rail Pass - enough for a beer or two - so it looks like that's what we'll do.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
43 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail Pass Questions

Qaminari,

Thanks - quiets my concerns. Been in countries where I've studied up before hand on what tickets to buy - step up to the machine and none of the selections matches the name from the website.

5. Re: Rail Pass Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 05:28