We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Train System

Wenatchee...
7 posts
Save Topic
Airport Train System

Hi,

I am traveling to Europe for 2 months and am thinking about flying into Brussels. I was wondering about the Brussels Airport. Is there a train station in the airport to get into the city and begin my journey or do i need to plan for other transportation? Also i am purchasing a Global Eurail Pass so am i able to use that on the train or would i need to purchase a separate train ticket for that part of the journey?

Thanks,

Chris

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Brussels Airport
Brussels Airport
Zaventem, Belgium
Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Train System

hi

Bruseels airport zaventem has a trainstation 200 m from arrival halls.

from there a train goes every 20 min to brussels.

costs a few euros and lasts a few minutes to brussels south station.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,040 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Train System

There is a train station at the airport, and you can catch direct trains there to e.g. Brussels, Antwerp and even (once a day) Paris. However, using a Eurail pass, you will still have to buy a "Diabolo ticket" as there is a surcharge of €5 on all trains to and from BRU (which would be already included in the price of an individual ticket, e.g. a standard single to Brussels, which costs €8.50).

I hope you have compared the cost of your Eurail pass to that of buying individual tickets on the trains you will be taking: because in the Benelux generally it is unlikely to save you any money: and if you would be taking any international high-speed trains (Thalys, Eurostar..), the so-called "passholders" fare is higher than the lowest fares you can get buying 3-4 months in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Train System

I was surprised that I was charged extra the last time I flew into Brussels. There seemed to be nothing special about the rail station or the journey to justify the extra cost. In my city, the light rail fare from and to the airport is the same as any other fare. But I've been in other US cities where they extended a rail line into the airport and charge extra to pay off the bonds used to create the station and rail line.

Is it just a matter of "milking" visitors for extra money or is there some "extra" that I missed that justifies the surcharge?

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Train System

<Is it just a matter of "milking" visitors for extra money or is there some "extra" that I missed that justifies the surcharge?>

railway-technology.com/projects/…

(Last paragraph of the Infrastructure section: " ... Reward for the investment will be via a combination of fixed fees, *a levy on airport rail tickets* ...")

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,040 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Train System

It isn't just visitors that use the airport and take public transport to reach it, residents do so too - and on many more occasions than visitors. However, if money is an issue and you have the time (30-45 mins), you can always take the De Lijn bus (272, 471) to Gare du Nord for €2 and start your train journey from there!

While the Diabolo fee is a (rather long-lasting) temporary measure, in many cities airport trains and buses are more expensive than others for a comparable distance. I am old enough to remember the price dropping when the airport train was taken over by Belgian Railways from Sabena, when it used to terminate at the former Sabena HQ next to Gare centrale. Hopefully, when the Diabolo connection has been finished, we will return to the normal situation - unless of course there is then something else to finance...

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Train System

<i am purchasing a Global Eurail Pass>

Be very careful. Do some detailed research into the actual individual cost of the journeys you plan to make first. Global rail passes of various kinds are now *much* less worthwhile than they once were, and you may end up spending a lot more money than you need to.

Read this thread from the France Forum, especially post 7 tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k738…

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
7. Re: Airport Train System

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2015, 06:15