We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels to Metz Train??

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
340 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
Brussels to Metz Train??

I need to go to Metz from Brussels, a little confused on the easiest way which I assume is train, but there is not direct train..

Assistance from travel veterans would be appreciated.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels to Metz Train??

The SNCB Europe website (www.b-europe.com) is your friend here.

Trains most hours from Brussels to Luxembourg changing there for a train to Metz.

Departures from Bruxelles Midi usually at 33 minutes past the hour (later from Centrale, Nord, Schumann, and Bruxelles-Luxembourg, the train calls at all of them) and a total journey time of around 4 to 5 hours because trains from Luxembourg to Metz don't run at regular intervals.

The second class one way fare is a little over 50€, fully flex, and there are no seat reservations.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
340 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels to Metz Train??

Thanks, I see the SNCB, goes to Luxemburg, guess there I will need to change.All these companies at tad confusing.

However when I checked "rail Europe", I got a quote of $97 from Brussels to metz...

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,434 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels to Metz Train??

https://www.b-europe.com/Travel

To: Metz (Fr)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
340 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels to Metz Train??

Great this is what I needed, do I need to book in advance..???

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,434 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brussels to Metz Train??

<do I need to book in advance..?>

Not necessary for the Inter City (IC) trains with a change in Luxembourg: price is fixed.

Journey involving the French high-speed train TGV is cheaper booked in advance: seat reservation is compulsory on the TGV.

Check prices on the website for the date you want to make the journey on.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,434 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brussels to Metz Train??

<Not necessary for the Inter City (IC) trains with a change in Luxembourg: price is fixed.>

I forgot to mention that you pay a booking fee of €3.50 if you buy an international ticket in person at a station in Belgium. If you buy the ticket online in advance, you do not pay this fee.

Englewood, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Brussels to Metz Train??

Is the train from Brussels to Luxombourg usually full in April? Is it a good idea to book rail ticket in advance from USA?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
340 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brussels to Metz Train??

To early i would wait.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brussels to Metz Train??

There are no seat reservations on trains between Bruxelles and Luxembourg so you cannot book. However, that doesn't mean that they don't become full to the extent that people have to stand part way (typically as far as Namur), particularly mid-afternoon onwards in second class.

You can, of course, buy a ticket in advance and it will be valid by any train on the date you choose, however it doesn't guarantee a seat. If you are travelling at a busy time (perhaps unlikely when travelling on to Metz), it helps to get on at Bruxelles Midi, the trains then call at Central, Nord, Schumann and (Bruxelles gare de) Luxembourg as they circuit central Bruxelles before heading off south-east towards Namur, Arlon and (the Grand Duchy and city of) Luxembourg.

Englewood, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Brussels to Metz Train??

Thanks