We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels to Bruges by train day trip

Manchester
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Brussels to Bruges by train day trip

Hi

I will be staying in Brussels from Saturday 24th August until Tuesday 27th August.

we are planning on making a day trip to Bruges on one of the days by train.

Just would like some info on buying tickets for this.

Would I be best booking online if so who with?

Would I be ok booking tickets on the day would this save me any money or cost more?

Thanks in advance.

London
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
829 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels to Bruges by train day trip

There is no benefit or cost saving to buying in advance and the tickets don't sell out (you might have to stand but that would be the same if it was booked in advance or not - the seats can't be booked specifically).

The trains are only likely to be really full if it happens to be a beautiful day weather wise and everyone decides to head to the seaside for the day (the trains to Bruges head on to the coast).

The station staff will be able to sell you tickets in English (if that was part of your concerns) or there are machines. Some of the machines don't accept no Belgian payment cards, but they seem to be in the process of being replaced.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels to Bruges by train day trip

Advance purchase (no booking possible, of seats or specific train departure) makes no difference to price and in this case, neither would it make much difference doing this trip on the Sunday, when you can buy a weekend return for €15.20 (as opposed to €28.20 on weekdays, i.e. double the single price of €14.10). In August, Belgian Railways offers a special "summer deal" weekday fare which last year cost €7.50 each way, i.e. €15 return. The ticket clerk will always sell you the cheapest ticket available for what you want to do, so all you have to do is say that you want a return ticket and that you will be returning on the same day. Tickets are valid for any train on the date shown on the ticket, so you don't have to specify what time you want to return, only that it will be on the same day.

As regards which day you go on, in both Brugge and Brussels shops close on Sundays (excluding those aimed at tourists) while most museums close on Mondays; however private ones, e.g., in Brugge, the diamond, chocolate and frites museums, remain open on Mondays and all tourist activities, e.g. canal boats, will be operating on both days.

Manchester
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels to Bruges by train day trip

thanks.

washington dc
Level Contributor
249 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels to Bruges by train day trip

I made this exact trip last month. No need to buy this ticket in advance. Its less than an hour via train.

You can read my trip review here:

carryingonbags.com/solo-trip-report-bruges-b…

5. Re: Brussels to Bruges by train day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 07:16