We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport train on a holiday morning

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
108 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Airport train on a holiday morning

I am about to book a return flight from Brussels Airport next year - on Easter Sunday.

The flight leaves at 9:30 am. Will there be any issue catching an airport train, given that it is a holdiay? I am guessing that I would need to leave central Brussels no later than 7am.

Thanks - I would feel better knowing this information prior to booking the flight!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
4,438 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport train on a holiday morning

I'm looking at the current schedule (today is a bank holiday in Belgium): I see trains from Brussel Centraal to the airport at 6:22, 6:34, 6:54, 7:14, ... (So, no, no problem, even on holidays. ;-)

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,856 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport train on a holiday morning

Easter Sunday isn't a "holiday", it's a Sunday! Easter Monday is a holiday - when trains run according to the Sunday timetable. But there are always 4 trains an hour between Brussels and Brussels Airport and the first one from Bruxelles-central is at 04:52 on weekdays and 04:52 on Sundays/public holiday

If your flight is to the U.S., you might want to note that BRU recommends checking in 3 hours beforehand, which would mean arriving at the airport at 06:30, so leaving central Brussels about an hour before you were planning to.

There is also the option of staying at the airport the night before: the Airport Sheraton is just across from the terminal.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
4,438 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport train on a holiday morning

So what is the difference between a "holiday" and a "Sunday" when it comes to train schedules?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
4,438 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport train on a holiday morning

BRU (airport) "recommends" people being there 3 hours before the flight only because they want you to spend money there. Check your latest check-in time with your airline to know when you really have to be there.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,641 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport train on a holiday morning

"So what is the difference between a "holiday" and a "Sunday" when it comes to train schedules?"

Unless DATES of operation a specified for a particular train (or bus), a public holiday and a Sunday have exactly the same schedules, even on Christmas Day.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
4,438 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport train on a holiday morning

Thank you becasse, that is what I always thought. I was wondering why qaminari said: "Easter Sunday isn't a "holiday", it's a Sunday! "...

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,856 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport train on a holiday morning

@kbbcn I was addressing the OP, not you! As the relevant part of "Easter Sunday" is "Sunday", and the timetable is the same as on any other Sunday.

As for not following recommended check-in times, of course people can do what they like but I have twice almost missed a flight despite having arrived at the airport in good time: once because it took nearly an hour to get through security and on the other occasion there were a lot of cancelled flights (I don't remember why) and long, long lines at check-in and boarding-pass control.

Supposedly the reason for the extra time for U.S. flights is that in addition to departing from the most remote gates in Pier A, there are (or can be) additional security checks in zone T; but having never flown from there, I don't know whether this is always the case.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport train on a holiday morning

i suppose you could argue that every sunday is literally a holiday depending on which religeon you follow it could be friday or saturday or any other day from some denomination i dont know about.

Sunday is not considered a holiday by the people who run trains other wise they wouldnt differnent schedule for holidays if they do. pointless discussion, you should have no problem unless the world ends between now and youer trip.

9. Re: Airport train on a holiday morning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 05:17