We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schuman Metro Station

York
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
868 posts
300 reviews
Save Topic
Schuman Metro Station

Just to let anyone know who's thinking of staying in the Schuman district that the Schuman metro station is a pit.

Shabby, badly maintained and a complete disaster zone for senior citizens who have to walk a very long way down lots of flights of stairs to the platform.

Given how palatial Westminster tube station is in London - I can't believe a metro station that serves the European Parliament is such a dump. It's unforgivable that in rush hour the exit escalators both here and at Centrale metro station were not working.

Europe
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Schuman Metro Station

And it has been like that for years. I stopped using the airport bus from Schuman (connecting from the metro) because I was fed up with having to carry my luggage up the stairs every time, and that must be at least 3 years ago. It just confirms the not so positive image I have of that country...

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,546 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Schuman Metro Station

Schuman (which like Gare centrale has both a railway and a metro station next to each other, underground) doesn't "serve" the European Parliament, which is one train station away along the line to Luxembourg, at Place du Luxembourg: in fact, the European Parliament isn't on the metro system at all, the closest metro stations are Maelbeek and Trône. The EU Institutions located at Rond-Point Schuman are the EU Council and the European Commission.

If the British Parliament has any power over London Transport, that leads LT to provide good facilities at Westminster (although I didn't notice its "palatial" nature when I was there in February), I presume that would be because it is the governing body of the country in which London is located. The EU institutions, on the other hand, have no such relationship with Belgium/Brussels. The metro station for the Belgian Parliament, which would be the equivalent, is Parc - which isn't palatial either, but at least it isn't undergoing construction work at the moment.

I imagine that Belgian Railways and STIB (the Brussels city transport system) would maintain that the reason for the mess at Schuman is precisely that they are trying to provide a better service to the EU Institutions by building the Diabolo rail link to the airport. Which is why the escalators at one end of Schuman (I believe one has been reinstated at the train station end) have disappeared behind the building work, and there are only staircases at the Archimède end.

For this reason, I have advised people using the airport bus not to change to the metro at Schuman (rue Archimède), but to continue to Place du Luxembourg and change to a bus.

As for Gare centrale METRO station: the escalator trip from the platform level there up to the ticket office level has to be the shortest in Brussels - so short that even I sometimes take the stairs instead, and that is saying something. Unfortunately, escalators at metro stations in Brussels sometimes break down, and sometimes this is in rush hour.

I'm so pleased to know that Cross Rail has caused absolutely no problems in London and that you never have escalators out of order!

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Schuman Metro Station

I well remember the mess that called itself Westminster underground station during the construction of the Jubilee Line Extension. I reckon that Schuman is nothing like as bad.

Europe
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Schuman Metro Station

I understand that escalators and elevators can be out of order (or removed) for renovation works - for a while, maybe 6 months. But what's going on at Schuman is just ridiculous...

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,680 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Schuman Metro Station

If you think Schuman is bad you should try using London Victoria at the moment ....

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
4,130 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Schuman Metro Station

I completely agree with the OP. Schuman metro station is a disaster. There are ways and ways of doing works, and the way it is done at Schuman is not by far the best. Indeed shabby and badly maintained are very appropiate adjectives to describe it.

As for escalators breaks, imho in Brussels they tend to break more often and stay out of order more time (sometimes, literally weeks!) than in any other metro system I've frequented.

all I can say to the OP, other than sympathize with his/her frustations, is: welcome to Brussels!

7. Re: Schuman Metro Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:17