We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

brussels in a day..what to do

Perth
Level Contributor
85 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
brussels in a day..what to do

Hi all, I'll be stopping over in Brussels from London in the morning. Thinking of visiting Brussels just for the day before travelling to Amsterdam in the evening. Any ideas where should I go or what should I do to maximize my experience in Brussels? Belgium waffles or choc maybe? ;) Appreciate your input. Thanks!

Sky

Perth, Australia

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: brussels in a day..what to do

If you are arriving on Eurostar, you can use your ticket to continue to Bruxelles-central station at no extra cost, there are trains every few minutes. The same goes, in the opposite direction, for the Thalys to Amsterdam, whereas if you are taking normal IC trains, you can depart from Gare centrale anyway. You can therefore leave your bags in a locker at Gare centrale.

That station is only 5 minutes walk from the Grand' Place and Galeries St. Hubert, also close to the cathedral and starting point for HoHo buses should that interest you.

There are 6 or 7 chocolate shops in the Galeries St. Hubert (http://www.grsh.be/en/real-attractions/) and the best place for waffles in Brussels is the café above Dandoy, almost opposite the Amigo Hotel. This is 1 block from the Grand' Place taking rue Charles Buls (which leads into rue de l'Etuve, which leads to the Mannekin Pis).

This map shows the area around Gare centrale and the Grand' Place: www.ilotsacre.be/site/en/default_en.htm

Perth
Level Contributor
85 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: brussels in a day..what to do

Brilliant suggestions qaminari! Always glad to hear from the locals =)

Yes, we'll be arriving at Brussels on Eurostar, and Thalys to Amsterdam (both arrive & leave from central yes?). So we just leave our luggage at central station on arrival I presume?

Can't wait to eat those famous Belgium waffle now!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: brussels in a day..what to do

NO, Eurostar and Thalys do not call at Gare centrale, but only at Gare du Midi. That's why I said you could use your Eurostar ticket "to CONTINUE to Bruxelles-central station at no extra cost". If it arrived at and departed from Gare centrale anyway, why would that need to be mentioned?!

I also pointed out that you could use your Brussels-Amsterdam Thalys ticket on a train from Central to Midi whereas if departing by normal trains, you could depart directly from Central. That also tells you, if you had not noticed when purchasing your ticket, that Thalys departs from Bruxelles-Midi.

Therefore, you get off Eurostar at Gare du Midi and as you have to go back there for Thalys, leave your bags at Gare du Midi. If you had been continuing by NON-high-speed trains, which do stop at Gare centrale, you would have taken your bags with you and left them at that station, so as to depart directly from there.

Edited: 05 July 2014, 15:11
Perth
Level Contributor
85 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: brussels in a day..what to do

Alright, I got it now. Just wondering all those places you mentioned, are they open on Sunday though? Cheers

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: brussels in a day..what to do

Yes.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
68 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: brussels in a day..what to do

We did a day trip to Brussels last month and really enjoyed the Brussels Bike Tour. You get some basic history and entertaining facts about the city, and a thrilling ride that covers a lot of territory in a short time. The tour includes a leisurely stop for frites and beer - two of Belgium's food groups. We shopped for chocolate after and try as we might, couldn't find room for waffles, tho they smelled delicious. We found biking an ideal way to see many of the "must see" sights, without sitting on a bus. Gorgeous city. Enjoy!

7. Re: brussels in a day..what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2015, 05:15