We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which city in Belgium I am missing?

Tournai, Belgium
Level Contributor
65 posts
375 reviews
Save Topic
Which city in Belgium I am missing?

I live in Brussels since 2012. I have been in : Liège, Namur, Dinant, Mons, Tournai, Eupen, Huy, Durbuy, Louvan-la-neuve and Charleroi in Wallonie. Regarding Flanders, I have been in Ghent, Anvers, Brugges, Leuven, Hasselt, Mechelen, Kortrijk, Oostend, Blankenberge, Knokk Heist. I will go to Ieper in two weeks. I would like to know if there is another interesting town/city/chateau that I should visit. I have also been in Chateau Jehay, Chateau de Frey and Chateau Modave, Le Grand Hornu. In all this cities I have been more than once (with the exception of Oostend). I do not own a car.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which city in Belgium I am missing?

Lier, Diest, Veurne, maybe Aalst and Dendermonde (all in Flanders), Bastogne, everywhere on the coast except the places mentioned (e.g. De Haan), the caves at Han-sur-Lesse (train to Jemelle then TEC bus 29) and the Grottes de Neptune (train to Couvin: http://www.grottesdeneptune.be/), and there are dozens of chateaux (e.g. Ooidonk, in Deinze, Bouillon, by train to Libramont then bus..), although many are tricky to reach without a car. Still, you can easily get to both Gaasbeek and Beersel near Brussels. I'm a bit surprised you haven't been to Waterloo, unless you forgot to mention it or are not interested in the battle (although now is possibly not the best time to go, with all the preparations for 2015).

Why not just buy a guidebook and see what appeals?

I would also advise a visit to Maastricht in the Netherlands, Lille in France and Aachen and Cologne in Germany, among other places you can easily reach from Brussels.

Tournai, Belgium
Level Contributor
65 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which city in Belgium I am missing?

Thank you for your advise. I have already been in Maastricht, Aachen and Cologne but your tips were very valuable for Flanders. I would try to visity Liers next, it seems like a nice town to visit and to go to Bouillon in Wallonie. I have not been in Waterloo but I am not that interested about the war.

3. Re: Which city in Belgium I am missing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 12:21
Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which city in Belgium I am missing?

I am sure there are many cities like Turnhout, but I like it. Because of the train, it combines well with Lier, and has an excellent Beguinage, as well as the important Playing Card Museum. Photos of old Turnhout are in the cafe to the left as you face the Art Deco town hall, usually open to the public. Do not miss the woodcarvings in the Cathedral. When in Lier, don't miss their special pastry, lierse vlaaikes. Turnhout is also accessible by bus from Antwerp.

You might wish to visit the Nazi era memorial and self-tour in the chilling prison of Breendonk, hard to get to by public transportation, but maybe with a 2km walk or a taxi.

You didn't mention the Openlucht historic building museum which has its own train station. Tongeren is pretty but not necessary to add to your huge list. Places like Antwerp are far too big to see even in a weekend. And I have yet to find the Jewish Museum /open/ in Mechelen. Make sure you see the KMSKA art museum in Antwerp when it reopens from renovation before you leave the country!

Tartu, Estonia
Level Contributor
943 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which city in Belgium I am missing?

Bvw1234 - if you remember where to board the old Waloon trains please post back here! It sounds lovely.

6. Re: Which city in Belgium I am missing?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 March 2015, 12:22
7. Re: Which city in Belgium I am missing?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 05:15