We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with the metro please

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stubbington, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Help with the metro please

Wondering if anyone can help!

Using google directions I can get the M6 From Clemenceau to Heysel (Roi Baudouin direction) and walk to Atomium in under 30 minutes if I leave at 10:30 any day until the 20th July. From the 21st July however I'm looking at an hour & a half on the 116 & 820 buses for same journey? Does the M6 not run after 20th July? Or are google just not able to tell me they can't specify metro times after 12 days ahead? Can someone help? Also- does anyone know where I can purchase day tickets for getting around Brussels please.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,884 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with the metro please

Monday 21 July is Belgium's national holiday and all public transport will be running according to the Sunday schedule on that particular day.

However, buses 116 and 820 do not belong to STIB (Brussels city public transport system) but to De Lijn, the Flemish transport company, which operates buses between Brussels and Flanders; so if these WERE the only means of getting to Heysel from Clémenceau on and after 21 July that would imply that work would be going on somewhere on metro line 6 - although there is no sign of that on STIB's website.

Normally I would suggest you use local routefinders (e.g. http://www.stib-mivb.be/reisweg-itineraire.html?l=en#) rather than google for local transport information, but it so happens that the STIB routefinder only goes up to 18 July at the moment: that is odd because normally they are on school holiday schedule (white) until 7 July, then on 8 July they switch to the blue schedule until 25 August. (I should also warn you that that routefinder is infuriating because the time boxes are placed on top of the calendar: you have to catch the grey calendar square just at the top, where it peeps over the time box, to be able to select date of departure!).

However, as long as STIB is not publishing timetables for certain dates, google could not do so either, so it must have simply concluded that no STIB line is available, and given you DL suburban buses instead. I think the only solution is to keep looking, but whatever the database problem is, it doesn't just affect metro line 6 and there seems to be no notice anywhere of work on that line in July. If there were, it should also appear on the timetable for metro line 6: stib-mivb.be/horaires-dienstregeling2.html…

You can purchase ALL STIB tickets and cards, including the 1-day JUMP card, at metro stations with a manned ticket office (e.g. Gare du Midi metro station, De Brouckère metro station..) or ticket machines in ALL metro stations and at certain bus/tram stops; and you can also buy individual tickets on board trams and buses, but at extra cost. IF you want to travel by De Lijn buses, these are not covered by STIB 1-day cards, they have their own tickets and cards which are not interchangeable, and DL buses only cover those parts of Brussels they travel through to get to Flanders.

Stubbington, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with the metro please

Wow, thank you so much for the quick and thorough response! I'm really grateful. We're actually travelling over first thing on Friday 1st August and trying to squeeze in the Grand Place that day, along with general getting to know the city. Then the Atomium & Comic Strip arts centre on the Saturday, the open market on the Sunday & thenunsure what to see on Monday before we leave at 5pm. So I think it may be the 2nd August only that we need to worry about transport. If I keep an eye on the schedules over next 3 weeks I'm hoping Saturday's transport issues will become much clearer .. & quicker! Thanks ever so much for the details re the day tickets - I'll purchase those from Midi as we're staying quite close to that station.

3. Re: Help with the metro please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:16