We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day. ghent or antwerp?

Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
1 day. ghent or antwerp?

Looking for advice on day trip from brussels. Will spend around 8 hours in either ghent or antwerp.

Love walking and taking in the surroundings.

Big beer fan looking for good bars with nice food.

Any advice on both places would be appreciated.

Europe
Level Contributor
5,971 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day. ghent or antwerp?

If you have to choose between those 2, choose Gent.

(Even better: drop Brussel frrom your list and visit both Gent and Antwerpen :-)

Waregem...
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day. ghent or antwerp?

Between Ghent and Antwerp, defenitely Ghent!

Two best cities in Flandres alltogether: Ghent and Bruges.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day. ghent or antwerp?

Between Ghent and Antwerp, definitely Antwerp!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,488 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day. ghent or antwerp?

Between Ghent, Antwerp and Brussels - definitely Brussels.

But seriously, there is no point asking this sort of question as the answer is totally a matter of personal taste, so you are likely to get as many different opinions as respondents. And if you were just going to follow the majority, then you might as well flip a coin.

You can walk and take in the surroundings absolutely anywhere so this doesn't help anyone to know which city would appeal to you. And in Belgium absolutely every bar will be serving Belgian beer, and a large number in each of the cities mentioned will have a good range of good beers, so that doesn't help either. While I don't know any beer bar that is also particularly known for "nice food", you can certainly get decent local food at De Halve Maan in Brugge (tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188671-d1…) and Het Elfde Gebod in Antwerp (tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g188636-d2…).

Had you said you wanted to do a canal-boat trip, visit a castle, see art-nouveau houses, or were interested in fashion, diamonds or old Masters, or modern design, it might have been possible to guess which city, between Ghent and Antwerp, might most appeal to you: but as it is, I can only suggest you research both yourself and see which appeals most.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day. ghent or antwerp?

<Between Ghent, Antwerp and Brussels - definitely Brussels.>

Hehe, Qaminari, I just knew you would chime in. ;-)

Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day. ghent or antwerp?

Thanks for the replys. I understand its just a matter of opinion. I have done some research and antwerp seems to have the better bars some good choices with rare beer selection and plenty to see/do with in a small area for my short visit.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
17,201 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day. ghent or antwerp?

In the past couple of years I have been to Bruges 2 times and Antwerp 5 times.

I'm going back to Antwerp in October because I love the selection of bars which is better than Bruges - probably because Antwerp is a lot bigger than Bruges! ;-p

My favourite bars in Antwerp are De Vagant, Kulminator, Den Engel, Paters Vaetje, 't Oud Arsenaal and Bier Central, and not forgetting 't Pakhuis brewery which has a very large bar/restaurant where you can sample the beers made in the brewery.

Of course, there are plenty of other bars and I always discover a new one when I visit.

But Bruges and Antwerp are very different places, and I haven't yet been to Ghent. I was supposed to go there in May but ran out of time and ended up just staying in Antwerp!

8. Re: 1 day. ghent or antwerp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 05:15