We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels in One Day

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Brussels in One Day

Hi,

We will arrive in Brussels on a Monday morning , we plan to tour Brussels for just a day and then at night we proceed to Amsterdam.

Kindly give me tips please , which are the BEST Brussels places to go to in just a day.

If you have a 1 day itinerary that will be so great !

We can start our tour as early as 8 AM until 6-7 PM

Super Big Thank you oh so much :) !!!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels in One Day

I can't tell you as I don't know where you are arriving (which determines where you would want to start from), when (which determines what might be "on" at the time - e.g. the flower carpet is only from 14-17 August) or what sort of things you like to do; but I can tell you that museums are closed on Monday.

I suggest you take a look at tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188644-Activiti…

If your departure to Amsterdam is from Bruxelles-Midi (Thalys), note that your ticket includes free transfer by train from Gare centrale, which is about 5 mins walk from the Grand' Place. If not taking Thalys but the IC train headed for Rotterdam and the Hague (or other IC train, e.g. to Antwerp), you can board this at Gare centrale anyway.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels in One Day

thanks, we will arrive on aug 18 , too bad we didnt get the flower carpet dates, anyway, we can start the tour at 8 am the following day, should we take the hop on hop off bus? relatively cheap? do you know where to buy please?

we will stay one block away from the Grand place, 5 min away from central station

thanks!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels in One Day

Hoho buses start near Gare centrale but are not cheap at all, in my opinion, at €23 or €21 online (for 24 hrs, €30 for 48) - see http://www.citysightseeingbrussel.be/en

As you can pay €7 for a 1-day "JUMP" transport card covering buses, trams and metro (which you can buy e.g. at metro stations), this seems a lot to pay for the commentary and avoiding having to work out your own route to and between the attractions you want to see, but all depends on what you want to do.

The buses can't go into the Grand' Place, Galeries St. Hubert, Ilôt Sacré (rue des Bouchers, Petite rue des Bouchers..) etc. so you still have to visit those - and the Mannekin Pis, if you want to - on foot: which you can easily do from your hotel as they are all in that area.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
317 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels in One Day

we have 2 half days and 1 full day in Brussels, would it be worthwhile to take a trip to Burges. I don't like to move around too much and would like to check out the Chocolate places etc. The other person with us was told that Burges was the place to go and beautiful etc. I won't hold you to your opinion but would like to get an idea from as many people as possible. Thanks

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brussels in One Day

Why would you add a question about Brugge to one about "Brussels in One Day"?! Please, consider the topic of your question and click "ask a question" instead of "post your reply" if it is different from the one you are looking at!

If you are only interested in chocolate places, no - there are more in Brussels (with clusters in the Galeries St. Hubert and around the Sablon, in particular). But if you want to see Brugge, why not? "Worthwhile" is not a judgment someone else can make for you, it depends on what your own priorities are. If you were just going to follow the majority view, you might as well flip a coin.

It takes 1 hr by train and you can leave from Bruxelles-Nord, Central or Midi, the train travels through all of them in that order. Cost is €8 each way (so €16 return) on WEEKDAYS in July/August ("summer deal") or €15.10 on Sat/Sun (weekend return). When you get there, the city centre is about 15 mins walk from the station or you can take any bus from stand 1 outside the station (€1.30 if you buy the ticket from machine or De Lijn office, €2 if you buy it from the bus driver).

Edited: 24 July 2014, 19:43
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Brussels in One Day

thanks again everyone.....

So after August 17, we wont see anymore of the flower carpet? at all?

Tnx :)

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,551 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brussels in One Day

No. It finishes at 23:00 hrs on Sunday 17 August and while I imagine they will wait 30 mins or so before starting to clear it away (because of the sound and light show that takes place at 23:00 hrs - see http://www.flowercarpet.be/) it will be gone by Monday morning. Otherwise, the dates would be 14-18 August!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
317 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brussels in One Day

Thanks will go to Bruges in the morning and lunch there and go back to Brussels to continue to Chocolate.

9. Re: Brussels in One Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 05:15