We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hr. Layover in Brussels

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bellingham...
3 posts
Save Topic
7 hr. Layover in Brussels

We have a long layover in Brussels and would like to take a train or bus to the city center. I am assuming we will have to go through customs again and rent a locker to store our carry-ons. Is this a possibility? Or should we stay put in the airport. How much time should we allow ourselves to get back and go through customs? Appreciate your comments.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,039 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 hr. Layover in Brussels

Hi Melinda552014,

Welcome to the forums!

The Support Forum is for assistance using the site itself and technical support. I'd suggest a couple of places to post that should be able to help:

1. Air Travel Forum which is here:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trave…

2 Brussels Forum which is here:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g188644-i205-Brusse…

Have a good trip!

Regards,

L4

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  What's this?
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 hr. Layover in Brussels

Hi Melinda,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question in the TripAdvisor Support Forum, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the Brussels Forum. I hope you find the information you need to plan your upcoming travels.

Kind regards,

Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,839 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 hr. Layover in Brussels

You have to go through Customs on arrival, yes, but I don't know why you say "again" - and this would be after passport control and baggage reclaim, whether or not you would be collecting hold baggage, which it sounds as though you aren't, if only storing hand luggage.

Assuming that you are Canadian citizens, who benefit from visa waiver for a tourist visit of less than 90 days, yes you can leave the airport. You can take the train from below the airport to the city centre (Gare centrale - about 5 mins walk from the Grand' Place), which costs €8.50 per person, takes 15-20 mins and runs every 20 mins or so. There are luggage lockers near the exit to buses, on level 0 (= ground level, the one above the station): see brusselsairport.be/en/… - just take the escalators signposted to buses and trains, which you will see in a 2 o'clock direction when you exit to "landside" from Customs.

When you return to the airport, you don't go through Customs (who are interested in goods you might be bringing into Belgium rather than what you might be taking out), only exit passport control and then security. As you also have to take your bags out of the locker, I suggest you leave the city centre about 1h30 before your flight. You can check the timetable for return trains before leaving Gare centrale (as I don't know what day of the week this would be), or look it up on http://www.railtime.be/website/train-schedule - using Bruxelles-Central and Brussel-Nat-Luchthaven as station names.

Bellingham...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 hr. Layover in Brussels

Thanks so much. It is much appreciated.

Bellingham...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 hr. Layover in Brussels

Thank you for helping me out here. I am from the US and this is my first trip to Brussels and second trip to Europe. I appreciate the time you took for the information. I assume that I have a tourist visa waiver also. I am going to have to explore that more and what sites we want to see in Brussels. Blessings and thanks again!

6. Re: 7 hr. Layover in Brussels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 06:16