We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Brussels

Allentown...
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Brussels

I will be going to Brussels for one of the days during my trip to Paris in the last week in August (26-31). I have several questions and hope someone can help.

1) How do I get from Paris to Brussels? I am staying by the Iles Saint Louis in Paris. (I saw somewhere to take the Thalys high speed train.) Do I need to buy the tickets in advance and if so how? Where do I get to the train?

2) If you're only going for one day is there something I MUST see? I was thinking of going to the Grand-Place (which appears to be walking around, shopping, and eating). I also want to go to the Horta Museum (but don't know the best time of day or day of week to go there). I'm interested in architecture and food, and I'm not afraid to do some walking. =)

3) When I went to Paris last year, everyone spoke English. Is that the same for Brussels or will I be in trouble with my limited French?

Any help/tips are appreciated more than you know!!! Thank you for taking the time to help!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,594 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Brussels

1) You take Thalys from Gare du Nord in Paris to Gare du Midi in Brussels, where the train terminates - but you can use your ticket on any local train to transfer (free) to Gare centrale which is 5 mins from the Grand' Place. It is not essential to buy the ticket in advance - you can usually get a reservation even on the day of travel - but it will save you a lot of money if you buy up to 3 months in advance, whether from Thalys (www.thalys.com), French Railways (www.voyages-sncf.com) or Belgian Railways (www.b-europe.com/Travel) - in the last case, selecting "homeprinting" option.

2) As mentioned, the Grand' Place is near Gare centrale. You can visit the Horta Museum any day except Monday, but only in the afternoons, from 14:00 hrs. If you were not arriving until around then, the best way to get there would be to take tram 81 straight there - to the stop "Janson" - from Gare du Midi (follow signs to buses and "rue couverte", which means "covered street" - bus and tram stops are under the railway bridge: you can buy tickets from the machine on the tram platform). If starting with the Grand' Place, you can either take metro lines 1/5 from De Brouckère to Parc and change there to tram 92 to Janson; or take (underground) tram 7 from Bourse metro station to Horta and change there to tram 81 or 97. See http://www.hortamuseum.be/en/Welcome (and www.stib-mivb.be/netplan-plan-reseau.html… - I suggest you visit a metro station at some point to ask for a paper network map).

3) Limited French is generally fine for Brussels.

Canton
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Brussels

We want to go from brussels to Bastogne for a day

having a hard time finding a tour guide and way to get there from brussels

Help!!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,594 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Brussels

If you are only coming to Brussels from Paris for the day, you don't have time to go to Bastogne.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Brussels

Thank you very much! You have been very helpful. We leave next week. :)

Blantyre
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Brussels

I found english is the best language to use in Brussels, because of geography and the EU Brussels is probably the most international city in the world it is in theory French speaking enclave in a Flemish speaking region, You will find American English is often used as a neutral lingual franca in a bilingual country.

6. Re: Day trip to Brussels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 06:16