We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hotel

My husband & I will be in Brussels early September for 2 nights. Since it's our first time in Belgium, we would love to stay in a great location in the heart of the city. Read many reviews & narrowed it down to Hotel Novotel or Hotel Metropole, but we are open to other suggestions. We like elegant hotels, but also charming ones. Thank you!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel

I don't know which Novotel you mean - though if it's the De Brouckère area your choices have in common, I would guess "Tour Noire" rather than "Off Grand' Place" - but I'm surprised to see these 2 considered as a being on a par as regards charm and elegance : the Métropole is a historic monument, with a fin-de-siècle interior (at least in the public rooms - I've never seen the bedrooms) while Novotels are housed in modern, functional buildings.

Somewhat similar to the Novotel Tour Noire (a modern hotel which incorporates a historic remnant) is the Marriott opposite the Bourse (a modern hotel housed in a - gutted - historic building but displaying archaeological remains in its restaurant).

Somewhat similar to the Métropole, having historic features inside as well as outside, are the former Astoria, now Sofitel, on rue Royale near Botanique and the art deco Plaza in Bd. Adolphe Max near Rogier.

Other city-centre hotels you might consider are the Amigo, reputed to be Brussels' best hotel; the Dominican, a design hotel housed in a former monastery behind the opera house; the tiny "boutique hotel" L'Espérance, with "deesigner" rooms housed in an art deco building (http://www.hotel-esperance.be/); the St. Michel, the only hotel actually in the Grand' Place (http://www.hotel-saint-michel.be/?lang=en); and Le Dixseptième, housed in a former residence of the Spanish Ambassador (www.ledixseptieme.be/).

Edited: 20 August 2014, 11:56
Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotel

I appreciate your excellent suggestions & will look at each of those hotels. Also, are there any restaurants we should definitely visit during our short stay? We are planning to also see Bruges & will probably be there for lunch. Thank you so much!

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotel

Just wanted to thank you for your fabulous recommendation! We stayed 2 nights at The Dominican & we loved it! What a charming, first class hotel! Excellent location, wonderful service, & beautiful setting! We enjoyed our stay immensely! So glad you suggested it! Thanks again!

4. Re: Best Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2015, 05:15