We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday morning flight from Brussels airport - getting there

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday morning flight from Brussels airport - getting there

We are staying in Brussels at the hotel Meininger Saturday night. We are a family of 5 with a fair amount of luggage. We have a morning flight back to the US from the Brussels airport. Are there alternatives to the subway/train schlep? Getting from the airport was a bear, especially since the subways won't take US credit cards so all fares had to be purchased with millions of coins. If we need to go that way, how early on a Sunday does the subway operate? Are there taxi services that can handle 5 people and luggage?

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,952 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday morning flight from Brussels airport - getting there

There is no direct transport to the airport from the area of the Meininger Hotel (Porte de Flandre stop on tram #51 to Midi or metro lines 1/5 from Comte de Flandre to Gare centrale). In any case, for your return you would no doubt have purchased - from a metro station ticket office if you want to use bank notes - a 5/10-trip card to use for the tram/metro part. Ticket machines do accept U.S. credit cards, as long as these are "chip and PIN", which I gather you can request from your bank if you don't yet have this type of card.

You can certainly order a taxi for 5 persons + luggage, your hotel should be able to do this for you, specifying that you need a "monovolume" Cost to BRU is about €50.

Of course it would have been much easier if you had stayed at a hotel close to Gare centrale to avoid having to use public transport after the airport train, or before it on the way back! There is always a compromise to be made between cheaper accommodation and easier transport. But for 5 people, you might as well take a taxi anyway as pay €42.50 (if they are all aged 12+) for the train alone.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday morning flight from Brussels airport - getting there

yes, I know there is no direct route - we either take the subway with one change, or a tram. I was more wondering if the subway runs very often early on a Sunday (even in NYC where we live, Sunday morning service sucks) and if there is a better way. When we arrived at the hotel, I spotted a taxi-van with people climbing out with lots of luggage, so my husband ran over and chatted with the driver. Yes, this will work but we were quoted 70 euros, not your 50.Do you know the names of companies that do this for 50 euros? As for staying near the train station, 1) all hotels I checked in that area would have made us book two rooms, adding a lot to costs and 2) I have never cared for Brussels hotels around the train stations. Even if we pay 70 euros for the taxi, it will have been cheaper to stay here, plus way more pleasant

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,952 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday morning flight from Brussels airport - getting there

The first metro from Comte de Flandres on a Sunday heading towards Gare centrale is line 5 at 05:30 (then 05:53), then line 1 at 06:06 (then 06:30) and the first tram 51 from Porte de Flandres to Midi is at 05:38 (then 05:55, 06:25..). Timetables on stib-mivb.be/horaires-dienstregeling.html…

I've several times taken a "monovolume " taxi from the airport, which happened to be the next one in the line, for the normal price on the meter, so don't see why this shouldn't be possible the other way around. I don't know which company it was, there are several that have the official airport taxi concession, e.g. http://www.taxisautolux.be/en/clients.html and http://www.taxisverts.be/en/ (be warned, has very irritating automatic system, beginning with language selection).

4. Re: Sunday morning flight from Brussels airport - getting there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 05:16