We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghent vs Bruges

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southern California
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Ghent vs Bruges

My boyfriend and I will staying in Brussels for four days at the end of this month. We are planning on one day trip to Antwerp, and then spending a second day in Ghent and Bruges. Is it too much to see both of these in one day? I read in the Time Out guide that Bruges in very touristy, whereas Ghent has just as much history, but less crowds. Any suggesitons on which would be better to see? I'm worried that seeing both in one day is too much.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Grand Lake, Colorado
Level Contributor
603 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghent vs Bruges

bruges was one of my favorute cities out of the 27 that we saw! It's almost magical!! I would spend more time there than brussels. Have fun!!

belgium
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghent vs Bruges

Both Ghent and Bruges are very nice, but Bruges is probably still 1 step ahead. Bruges has a more romantic and arty touch while Ghent is more lively due to the presence of the students, including restos and nightlive. Both centers are pretty car-free. If you travel during weekdays in March, probably Bruges is still OK; during weekends and from Eater till October especially, Bruges gets so busy that I would tend to go to Ghent.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ghent vs Bruges

Marzipan- Ive never been to Ghent (keep meaning to drive there) and while Brugge is extremely touristy, it is beautiful. I think you could do both in one day but Ghent might be a little disappointing if you do Brugge first.

From what I cant tell from the train website, its only a 40 minute train ride from Brussels Central to Ghent (Gent St-Pieters is the train stations name). Then from there it is about 25 minutes to Brugge. I think you can do both in one day. Just plan on leaving early morning (say 9ish). Have lunch in Ghent and then head to Brugge. You can plan on having dinner in Brugge before heading back to Brussels. (Or since Belgium dinners take at least two hours, maybe wait until you are in Brussels).

I can recomend a resturant in Brugge, its called Le Panier D'or. Its on the plaza, right across the street from the belfry. They serve sausages and other grill items. My husband had a grill sampler there and loved it. I had some chicken thing with frittes that was pretty good. The apertief a la masion is champagne with some liquor and a cherry (I think I had about three! Lol). Their outdoor seating is right on the plaza and you can look at people walking buy.

Whew! Anyway, I hope you have a fun trip! Let me know if you have any last minute questions I can help you with :)

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ghent vs Bruges

Oh and make sure you order Kwak while you are there. Its my favorite Flemish beer!

Belgium
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ghent vs Bruges

In a few words Ghent is loaded with history and Bruges with tourists from all over the world.The Bruges museums of fine arts are unbeatable but Ghent has its Spanish past , the van Eyckbrothers worldfamous painting and the tomb of Mary of Burgundy.Charles V king of Spain was born in Ghent ....

Both are worth a visit.Bruges too crowded for my taste

sue
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ghent vs Bruges

Have never been to Ghent but j'adore Brugges, we went there on a day trip but I would have loved longer, will def go again, if you like chocolate you will be in heaven, we went to an amazing chocolatier whilst on holidays last September and I can stil visualize the smell of the pastries and chocolate.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ghent vs Bruges

both have their fans and i personally like bruges rather than gent having said that i really like lille as well so it can be a good stop if you travel to the uk on eurostar. However for me the best place to go is leuven. it is a short trip trhe architecture is pretty special and as it is a student town it can get pretty lively.Mechelen is pretty good as well.

here are some good links …independent.co.uk/europe/western/story.jsp…

…independent.co.uk/europe/western/story.jsp…