We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendation: Mussels

Plymouth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
8 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendation: Mussels

I'm looking for a few recommendations for good restaurants to enjoy mussels. I am staying near Grand Place and am confortable with a tab of 40 Euros/person. Thanks for the tips!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,597 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendation: Mussels

TA has a search function, and if you put in the word mussels or moules when in the Brussels forum, you will find pages of previous questions/answers on this very subject, e.g. tripadvisor.com/…4215054

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
393 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendation: Mussels

I have two recommendations for you in that area. One is Aux Armes de Bruxelles which is on the infamous Rue de Bouchers #13.

I say infamous because every other mussels place you will see on this street is a tourist trap so don't get sucked in.

There is one other very good restaurant call Scheltema which is just off the Rue de Bouchers on a side alley (you will see the green and white sign hanging from the front of the restaurant if you look down the side streets and look to the right side).

Both of these restaurants have a great ambience and really good food. Aux Armes is a more traditional old fashioned type restaurant and Scheltema has a busier more chop house/business type feel to it but is equally charming. Both would be in your price range though Aux Armes is the lesser expensive of the two.

If you want to look them up Aux Armes has a web site www.armebrux.be and Scheltema is www.scheltema.be

Lori

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendation: Mussels

You should also purchase the musselstoximeters which are available in most good food stores. They measure the amount of toxins in cooked mussels just before you eat them. There is a probe at the base of the toximeter which you insert int the flesh of the mussel. Mussels failing the "toxicity test " cause a red light on the toximeter to flash rapidly. Most good restaurants will give you your money back when faced with this damning evidence of the toxins present intheir mussels.

Antwerp
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendation: Mussels

Maybe a little paranoid this ?

I've eaten mussels for more than 50 y in Belgium and never got sick once... in fact I would feel embarrased if I would use that instrument.

Not to mention the feelings of the restaurant owners.

Antwerp
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendation: Mussels

I forgot to ask : to be safe, I suppose you have to try every mussel before you eat it ?

I can imagine the scene already :-))

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendation: Mussels

wow i have never even heard of these things, i guess you need a meat thermometer as well as a drip and on call medical care.

Tw ogood places out of town a bit. Au bon humeur on chausee de louvain and zinneke .

7. Re: Restaurant recommendation: Mussels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 11:22