We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon: Munich, Brussels, Rome or Zurich??

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
6 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon: Munich, Brussels, Rome or Zurich??

(cross-post)

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon for early June 2007. We plan on using miles to get to Europe, spend a few days in a great city and then travel to Croatia for a relaxing beach vacation. Our options on where we can travel w/ our airline miles are Munich, Brussels, Rome or Zurich. We want to go somewhere that is fun, metropolitan, affordable enough (ie hotel for around $200/nt that is nice enough to spend time in during your honeymoon). Reading up on all 4 places is starting to get overwhelming. I'm leaning toward Munich. Travel to/from Croatia are approximately the same from all cities. Any suggestions??

Our approximate itinerary ...

4 days in one of the above cities

6 days Croatia

1-2 days back in same city

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
393 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon: Munich, Brussels, Rome or Zurich??

Of the cities listed, Rome has the most to offer. Almost all of the major features (Colliseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Vatican Museum etc) are within walking distance of each other. The food is unbeatable, the people are friendly and you can find a good hotel for around 200 per night just make sure it has air conditioning though June should still be cool enough. Since you will spend two more days after Croatia, you can also take a day trip from Rome to the Amalfi coast or to Florence or to Venice which are all terrific.

Munich will have the biggest selection of hotels but it is a monstrosoty of a City without a lot of great attractions.

Zurich has some very nice hotels for your price . It is not as interesting as Rome but will be cleaner and you have the wonderful air and weather there. Also from Zurich it is quite easy to take the train to go see Lucerne which is a really charming town as are Bern and Basel. Switzerland is a pretty small country and it is easy to see a lot in a few days.

Brussels has wonderful sites as well which you can see in a day or so and a short train ride from Brussels is Brugge, which for a honeymoon would be the best place to position yourself. Brugge is a more romantic city.

If it was me, the order of preference would be:

1. Rome

2. Zurich or Brussels

3. Munich

Thessaloniki
Level Contributor
262 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon: Munich, Brussels, Rome or Zurich??

As lofa said in Rome you would have a lot to do. For me it's a city-museum! The city is beautiful, the food is great and I think tahta you can find a hotel for 200$. But you have be careful with the drivers (I know that in Italy they drive worse than in Greece and this is bad, believe me!). Also Rome is an expensive city and you have to check the weather. High temperatures are untolerable in Rome!

I've never been in Munchen or Zurich but I've heard that they are beautiful.

Brussels now are a more quite city, you won't have so much to do. It's scenery and if you choose it you should definetely visit Brugge. I don't think that you are going to be bored at Brussels plus it has almost 250 kinds of beer to try. The food is not great unless you like mussels! Of course there are plenty of other choices. However Brussels are not as vivid as Rome.

I hope I don't confuse you at all!

Have a really happy and unforgettable honeymoon!

Antwerp
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon: Munich, Brussels, Rome or Zurich??

For a romantic honeymoon : Rome !

I'm surpised you even consider Brussels or Munich.

Rome does not have to be expensive. I'v been ther in October, paid 520 for 4 nights in a very good hotel and had VERY good meals for about 60 - 65 Euro for 2 .

In Rome you don't drive a car ! You walk or take the very good public transport.

And don't feel obliged to see everything. Just pick a few highlights and enjoy your stay and the atmosphere of the beatiful city.

Look at the Rome forum, there is overwhelming inside and very good info there.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon: Munich, Brussels, Rome or Zurich??

Munich, and the surrounding Bavarian Alps, might make a very nice change of scenery when you're off to Croatia afterwards. Munich itself is a very pretty city and the surrounding mountain scenery is simply breathtaking.

Aosta, Italy
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon: Munich, Brussels, Rome or Zurich??

Why not pick two?

Rome is absolutely wonderful!! I lived there for awhile and when I left it was as magical as when I arrived. A must-do for a European honeymoon! Also consider that Rome is just a 1-hour train ride from Florence if you're so inclined.

But don't count out Munich. If you have enough time to do both I would include this beautiful city as well. It has a completely different atmosphere with the alps being close-by and the completely different style of cuisine. You can usually get a pretty cheap flight between the two cities on AirOne (partner with Lufthansa and United) or on a low-cost carrier such as ryanair.com or easyjet.com.

For hotels throughout Europe I highly recommend venere.com and hotelclub.net. They let you know exactly what you're getting before you arrive.

Aosta, Italy
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon: Munich, Brussels, Rome or Zurich??

Oops! I forgot to mention....

For flights to anywhere in Europe I would check mobissimo.com and travelgrove.com to make sure I am getting the best rates. Also if you can fly Delta, Northwest or British Airways for a few dollars more than United, American, or Continental it is worth every penny!! The European-based airlines also have more comfortable seating generally and always much better food.

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon: Munich, Brussels, Rome or Zurich??

croatia has very italian influenced cuisine down the dalamtiian coast so youi might want to try somewhere different if you go to rome.

I really like munich it has a special culture and there are a lot of places to visit in terms of museums walks and gardens in the city. There are also soem decent clubs and some good tours the views and walks in the mountains are pretty special and if you like beer and hearty food it is a god place where you wont go hungry or thirsty.

Antwerp
Level Contributor
367 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon: Munich, Brussels, Rome or Zurich??

I agree with all of you. All are nice cities.

But: honestly, if it was YOUR honeymoon, in wich city would you realy like to stay? Honest ?

Would you realy change Rome to Munich, or Brussels ?

If I think back to my long ago honeymoon, I know MY answer ... :-))

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon: Munich, Brussels, Rome or Zurich??

rome and then munich and drive to croatia from there

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon: Munich, Brussels, Rome or Zurich??

Jawadde, it's just what you make of it. I would prefer Munich for the change of scenery. A walk just-the-two-of-you in the mountains is as romantic to me as is walking in Rome and see the sites. I mean ... what's romance anyway? Is romance in Paris any better than romance in Antwerpen? I don't think so!