We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Mons and other info about Mons

DC Area
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Mons and other info about Mons

I will be in Mons for a week. Would like some insight on good day trips in Mons and around the area. Restaurant recommendations for Mons is also appreciated

thank you

Mentioned in this post
Mons
Mons
Hainaut Province, Belgium
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Mons and other info about Mons

In Mons the best place to go is the Grand Plaza. It is huge and its wonderful to sit outside at a cafe and enjoy the sights. One place I like is the pizza resturant next to Chi-Chi's. I cant think of its name right now, sorry!

Mons has a great train station so from there you can go to Brussels, Antwerp and Brugge. Mons also has a bullet train to Paris so you can leave on the 8am train and come back on the evening train (book via thalys.com). (Paris in a day? why not?!)

In Mons there is lots of shopping and a beautiful cathedral. I think there are a few museums but I have never been myself. www.mons.be might be of help. Right outside Mons, off the autoroute is the Grand Pres which is like a mall. It has some nice cafe's indoors as well as a large Carefour (think super walmart but better). Theres a movie theater outside but all movies are dubbed in French.

:) Have a fun trip!

Mentioned in this post
Mons
Mons
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Mons, Belgium
Level Contributor
90 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Mons and other info about Mons

In case someone reads this in the future...the pizza restaurant the previous poster referenced is called "Da Tony's". Surprisingly the steaks at ChiChis are good (though the Mexican food is not). My husband and I like the pizza and pasta at Palma D' Or.

The best service (and one of the best pizzas IS Da Tony's.

The best pizza is just off the Grand Place (near McDonald's) at The Primavera. No outside seating but lots of tables with windows.

Enjoy Mons!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Place
Grand Place
28,400 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Mons
Mons
belgium
Level Contributor
1 post
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Mons and other info about Mons

Where to eat is quite simple: just try the restaurant "la petit provencette". Mediterrean food on the Grand Place

What to do: go visit "the Pass" in Frameries(5 minutes drive). This is an organisation, sponsored by the governement, situated on a mining-site. The theme of the parc is the human... Just look a their website www.pass.be

Just try it! It will be a surprising visit!

ps: if you are looking a nice, clean, budget stay, go to Ibis Mons Centre Gare instead in Mercure... :-) (the staff is really friendly)

Mentioned in this post
Grand Place
Grand Place
28,400 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Ibis Mons Centre Gare
Ibis Mons Centre Gare
362 Reviews
Mons, Belgium
London
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Mons and other info about Mons

Mons is a surprisingly nice little place. I must admit, I thought (because it was in the old industrial mining belt) it would be an absolute sh*thole a la Charleroi but I was pleasantly surprised. It's not pretty-pretty like Bruges but it's attractive with bags of character. If it was in Flanders it would be a pretty major tourist destination.

Food-wise I'd recommend the Excelsior on the Grand Place, even though it's once-extensive beer list has plummetted - I had a lovely monkfish on a bed of leeks there. Tim Webb's Good Beer Guide to Belgium also recommends the Cervoise and the Maison de Brasseurs on the Grand-Place.

If you're looking for a trip out of town the Giants Museum at Ath is a good place to spend an afternoon. It tells you about the folklore and history behind the "giants" and festivals of Belgium and beyond.

http://www.ath.be/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=920

Mentioned in this post
Mons
Mons
Charleroi
Charleroi
Grand Place
Grand Place
28,400 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Brasseurs
Brasseurs
75 Reviews
Sint-Niklaas, Belgium
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Mons and other info about Mons

I lived in Mons for three years. You must definitely go to Brugge - a beautiful town of lace and canals! It's only 45-60 minutes away. The local area is pretty with a lot of old estates to roam around. I also loved Tournai - you must see the church of Notre Dame. Absolutely beautiful tapistries to see. If the LaPetite Provence is still there (Grand Place, Mons) the food is excellent! La Petite Provence - Grand Place 26

Mentioned in this post
Mons
Mons
Tournai
Tournai
Grand Place
Grand Place
28,400 Reviews
Brussels, Belgium
La Petite Provence
La Petite Provence
180 Reviews
Mons, Belgium
TAMPA
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Mons and other info about Mons

On 14 May 2007 around 8:30pm I went out to Mons Grand Platz and went looking for a restaurant to eat at and as I was looking around I saw a Italian restaurant La Tonys and I thinking to eat Italian that night plus I have eaten at La Tonys before but this time I was thrown for a loop because what I saw was very disturbing. I saw an American flag hanging upside down from the third story window inside La Tonys restaurant kitchen window for all Mons to see.

p.s. I do not think any Italians work in that restaurant. I believe they are Middle Eastern origin.

This is a huge warning sign at least for Americans. Beware!

I wish I could post a picture of that on this post because I took some photos.

Mentioned in this post
Mons
Mons
mons
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Mons and other info about Mons

sir the american flag was only for one day because that day was some special day for my american friends and they ask me to put flags on my window. And for your kind information there is not even one person from middle east ever work for me. So please don't brake my busnisse on your idias

8. Re: Day trips from Mons and other info about Mons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 17:21
Get answers to your questions about Mons