We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel warning for Christmas market - attack today

Which Liege hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Travel warning for Christmas market - attack today

I don't have a question, just a note for people who are thinking of visiting Liege.

There was an attack today on the Christmas market. Three people died and many are injured.

Please read: …cnn.com/2011/…

I pray for the victims...

Undine

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,171 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel warning for Christmas market - attack today

Yes, a horrible thing to happen. Thankfully tis sort of incident is very rare in Belgium. This is an isolated incident and does not constitute a serious and ongoing threat to tourists.

Edited: 13 December 2011, 17:32
Brussels
Level Contributor
5,260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel warning for Christmas market - attack today

< This is an isolated incident and does not constitute a serious and ongoing threat to tourists. >

Yes. Whilst it was a dreadful event, it was a criminal act carried out by a single individual, not a terrorist act.

It has no connection with the Liège Christmas Market except insofar as it happened near where the market is taking place.

It has no implications for people visiting the rest of the country.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel warning for Christmas market - attack today

Unfortunately the death toll has risen to 5 (including the gunman) with 122 others injured. Sending my condolences from New York to the wonderful people of Liege.

New York
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel warning for Christmas market - attack today

I have heard of five without the shooter and 123 people injured. What a terrible tragedy so shortly before Christmas.

Because of it stores in Liege will be closed tomorrow, out of respect.

My thoughts are with people in Belgium.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,878 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel warning for Christmas market - attack today

My thoughts go to all those who lost loved ones in the attack in Liege and to all those who were terrorized. It is a tragic event at a very unfortunate time of year. I hope everyone injured will recover completely.

This OP was very premature, IMO. Within a few hours it became clear that no warning is needed for travellers. Tomorrow, travellers will see the city as usual and not even the grief will be evident to them.

Edited: 14 December 2011, 09:01
6. Re: Travel warning for Christmas market - attack today

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

Tragic circumstances occur in every city of the world, including crimes that involve both tourists and locals. We close or remove topics that include graphic descriptions of violent crimes or accidental death and injury; the subject matter does not conform to our rules regarding family-friendly topics and our requirement that forum threads be travel-related discussions.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2011, 11:55