We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gravensteen Hotel

Minneapolis...
3 posts
Save Topic
Gravensteen Hotel

I will be arriving in Ghent by train, from Antwerp (I believe the Damport station). Was wondering if a taxi would be the easiest way to get from the station to the Gravensteen Hotel? Any thoughts on what a taxi might cost? Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
East Flanders Province, Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Hotel Gravensteen
Hotel Gravensteen
617 Reviews
Ghent, Belgium
Europe
Level Contributor
6,234 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gravensteen Hotel

Personally, I would stay on the train until the main station (Gent Sint Pieters) and take tram #1 from there. Get off in front of the Gravensteen (castle), from there it is a 2 minutes walk to you hotel.

I would hesitate to count on a taxi from Dampoort for two reasons: I do not think that there are always taxis waiting there (it is a small station) and the taxi will have to go around the city centre to get to the hotel.

On the other hand, a taxi from Dampoort should only cost 8,50€ (which is the base price that includes the first 3 kms).

A taxi from Sint Pieters station (where there are taxis waiting for sure) should cost between 10 and 15€.

Edited: 23 May 2017, 06:18
Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Gravensteen Castle
Gravensteen Castle
3,703 Reviews
Ghent, Belgium
Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
127 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gravensteen Hotel

I would also suggest to stay on the train until Gent-SInt-Pieters and take the tram there.

Cheapest and easiest way!

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,923 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gravensteen Hotel

Well, the cheapest way would be to walk from Gent Dampoort, which at almost 2 km, would take me about 30 mins.

But indeed if you look at the map on your hotel's website, the closest tram stop to it is Gravensteen, which means the easiest route by public transport would be tram #1, direction Evergem/Wondelgem, and that means getting off the train at Sint Pieters station, and taking this tram from stand 2 (where there are ticket machines and at the end of the platform, the De Lijn ticket office: cost buying individual ticket is €3 or you can buy a 10-trip Lijnkaart for €15). Here is where to find tram/bus stops outside the station: https:/…20Sint-Pieters (NB theoretically it is also possible to take tram #4 but this route has so many different variants - most of which DON'T stop at Gravensteen - that I would suggest sticking with #1). When you get off at the Gravensteen stop, keeping the castle on your right, walk across the Rekelingestraat bridge and Jan Breydelstraat is the next street on the left.

That said, if you really want to get off at Dampoort station, and not to walk from there, from outside that station you could take tram #3, direction Mariakerke Post (from stand 13), or bus #38, direction Blaarmesen (from stand 1 or 3) just 4 stops to Korenmarkt. From there, it's just one block to Graslei (on your right, looking back the way the tram came), from where you walk across the bridge to Korenlei, and turn right into Jan Breydelstraat. Here is the map of tram/bus stops outside Dampoort station: …delijn.be/files/attachments/.3152/Perrons_G…

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Hotel Gravensteen
Hotel Gravensteen
617 Reviews
Ghent, Belgium
Korenmarkt
Korenmarkt
101 Reviews
Ghent, Belgium
montreal
Level Contributor
758 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gravensteen Hotel

We took a taxi to the Gravensteen, then took the tram to the station for the return trip. Once you get your bearings in the city, it is easy to use public transportation. Down load the city maps to your smart phone before you go for use without internet connection once you get there. This is very helpful when you use public transportation and want to know when to get ready to get off the tram, bus or train. I also "pin" important locations on the map ahead of time (i.e. hotel, train stations, museums, etc.) for easy navigation.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Gravensteen
Hotel Gravensteen
617 Reviews
Ghent, Belgium
5. Re: Gravensteen Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2018, 05:16