We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Brugges

Escondido...
Level Contributor
377 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Brugges

My husband and I will be staying at the Marriott in May of 2009 for two nights. I thought it would be nice to take the train to Brugges. Does anyone know if the train station is far from the Marriott and if it goes to Brugges. Thanks for any information.

Gent, België
Level Contributor
130 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Brugges

A five minutes walk away from the Marriott you can take tramway number 1 to the Sint-Pieters station. There are trains to Bruges (end station Knokke or Blankenberge) every half an hour. It takes less than half an hour to reach Bruges by train.

Hope you'll enjoy your stay in Ghent, my home city!

Escondido...
Level Contributor
377 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Brugges

Thnank you so much for the train information. We are really looking forward to our trip. Too bad it is so far away still. Is the weather nice in early May? I have gotten lots of great information about Ghent on this website. Do you have any favorite restaurants or things to do besides the top tourist sites? Are there any WW11 sites?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,002 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Brugges

1) This year the weather has been rather nice in May but whether it will be next year is impossible to tell.

2) I like the Pakhuis, www.pakhuis.be.

3) WWI sites tend to be around the S.W. of the country, around Ieper (Ypres) and WWII sites around the S.E. e.g. Bastogne (Battle of the Bulge) and the citadels of Namur and, especially, Dinant. However there is an American cemetary at Waregem, 22 miles from Ghent -

http://www.abmc.gov/

cemeteries/cemeteries/ff.php

and a Canadian museum at Adegem-Maldegem -

http://canada-at-war.suite101.com/

article.cfm/canada_museum_belgium

You cant catch a normal train to Adegem or Maldegem, but the train from Ghent St. Pieters to Eeklo takes 36 minutes and from there there is a tourist steam train to Maldegem (about 6 miles from Eeklo), although I am not sure it would be running in early May. Alternatively, bus 58 from outside the station (Ghent St. Pieters) goes via Eeklo, Adelgem and Maldegem to Brugge.

Gent, België
Level Contributor
130 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Brugges

There are many good restaurants in Ghent.

I have copied links to my favourites (tourist trap-free guaranteed :-))

Het oeverloze eiland

www.hetoeverlozeeiland.be : a lovely place to have your aperitif before you go to dinner, or to end the evening with a delicious coffee or tea (they have so many brands)

De Foyer

www.foyerntgent.be : this restaurant is on the first floor of the city theatre (Sint-Baafsplein): the best place to have brunch on sundays!

De 3 biggetjes

www.de3biggetjes.com : very good restaurant in the 'Patershol', the medieval quarter of Ghent

The house of Eliott

www.thehouseofeliott.be : restaurant in the Jan Breydelstraat met great lobster menu

Allegro Moderato

…pandora.be/allegroresto/Gent/Gent_indexfram… : very romantic restaurant on the Korenlei (that is where your hotel is)

All these places are just a five minute walk from the Marriott hotel!

Escondido...
Level Contributor
377 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Brugges

Thank you so much for all the great restaurant recommendations. I was not sure what area my hotel was in so that information helps too.

6. Re: Day trip to Brugges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 23:16