We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel from Ghent to brussels,bruges and antwerp

Chester, England
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train Travel from Ghent to brussels,bruges and antwerp

We are staying in Ghent for 4 days midweekl.Looking to travel to Bruges,Antwerp and Brussels each day to spend one day in each city and return each night by train.Arriving at Brussels airport on a Monday evening.Overall 4 return trips.Any better and cheaper way other than buying a standard rail pass each day.Looked at rail pass for 10 jouneys but no cheaper

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
East Flanders Province, Belgium
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Brussels Airport
Brussels Airport
Zaventem, Belgium
Ghent and Bruges Day Trip from...
2,051 Reviews
from US$54.50*
Free Cancellation
Brussels Super Saver: Brussels...
108 Reviews
from US$126.70*
Free Cancellation
Antwerp Half-Day Trip from Brussels
179 Reviews
from US$43.80*
Free Cancellation
Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Travel from Ghent to brussels,bruges and antwerp

Assuming you are not under 26 years old and are travelling only on weekdays:

Ghent to Bruges: EUR 11.80 return

Ghent to Antwerp: EUR 17.40 return

Ghent to Brussels: EUR 16.40 return

Brussels Airport to Ghent and return: EUR 22.80

Using the 10-journey Rail Pass each return journey would be EUR 14.80 (2 x EUR 7.40):

So Rail Pass is cheaper for trips to Antwerp and Brussels, and to and from the Airport, but not for the trip to Bruges.

NB - if you use the Rail Pass to travel to and from the Airport you have to buy a separate "Diabolo" ticket for EUR 2.10 to accompany the pass.

Cost of Ghent to Brussels Airport and back is therefore EUR 19 (EUR 14.80 on the pass + EUR 4.20 "Diabolo") - still cheaper than a full price ticket.

Total cost of all your trips as listed: EUR 68.40 - so less than the cost of the pass which is EUR 74.

If you are under 26 years old, you are eligible for the "Go Pass 10" which works in the same way as the "Rail Pass" but costs only EUR 50 for 10 trips.

Calculation of ordinary fares sefora.b-rail.be/sefora/Sefora/berekenen.do…

Diabolo www.b-rail.be/nat/E/tarifs/diabolo/index.php

Rail Pass b-rail.be/nat/E/tarifs/passes/rail/index.php

Go Pass 10 b-rail.be/nat/E/tarifs/passes/go/index.php

Edited: 12 May 2011, 11:55
Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Bruges
Bruges
Antwerp
Antwerp
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Brussels Airport
Brussels Airport
Zaventem, Belgium
Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Travel from Ghent to brussels,bruges and antwerp

< Total cost of all your trips as listed: EUR 68.40 - so less than the cost of the pass which is EUR 74. >

NB - A Rail Pass can be shared between 2 or more people. You do not need one each.

If there are 2 of you, you could use the 10 "units" of a Rail Pass to cover the most expensive tickets and buy separate ordinary tickerts for the cheaper ones.

Cost of Rail Pass + 4 "Diabolo" tickets for the Airport: EUR 82.40.

Cost of the extra single tickets you would need for your cheapest journeys: EUR 40. Total: EUR 122.40.

Total cost of ordinary tickets for 2 people for the journeys you listed: EUR 68.40 x 2 = EUR 136.80.

So - if my calculations are correct - you can save money by buying a Rail Pass.

Chester, England
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Travel from Ghent to brussels,bruges and antwerp

Thanks Colin

Very helpful,yes there are 2 of us,took some time to work out but yes your calculations seem to be correct.You will have saved us money to spend elsewhere no doubt.

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Travel from Ghent to brussels,bruges and antwerp

I'm also planning a 5 night stay in Belgium this August and was wondering if staying in Bruges or Ghent was better for visiting Antwerp Lille etc. If I were visiting Lille from Bruges for instance would I need to change at Ghent ? Ditto with Antwerp.? Is Ghent a better base than Bruges for doing this ?

Edited: 25 May 2011, 20:01
Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Bruges
Bruges
Ghent
Ghent
Antwerp
Antwerp
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Travel from Ghent to brussels,bruges and antwerp

If you want to go to Lille and Antwerp, then Gent is the better choice.

Mentioned in this post
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
Antwerp
Antwerp
Ghent
Ghent
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,923 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Travel from Ghent to brussels,bruges and antwerp

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en and look in particular under Chg column, indicating whether trains are direct (0 changes) or not (1 or more changes).

There are direct trains from Brugge to Lille-Flandres; although there are also departures involving a change in Kortrijk. The same applies to departures from Ghent, i.e. some are direct and some require changing in Kortrijk. (There are 2 separate railway lines, Oostende-Lille, stopping in Brugge, and Antwerp-Lille, stopping in Ghent)

There are also direct departures from Brugge to Antwerpen-Centraal (coming from Oostende and passing through Ghent), and others involving a change in Ghent.

On the other hand, Ghent is exactly halfway between Brugge and Brussels, and the central point for rail travel in Flanders.

But, Brugge is small and the station is not far away from anywhere, whereas in Ghent, if staying in the centre you would have to take the tram to and from Gent-St. Pieters (for trips to Brugge and Brussels; for Kortrijk/Lille and Antwerp you can also travel from Gent-Dampoort if this is more convenient for where you would be staying).

In other words, for ease of travel to the places you mention, there really isn't any particular reason to choose between staying in Brugge and staying in Ghent other than your personal preference!

Edited: 26 May 2011, 14:47
Mentioned in this post
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
Kortrijk
Kortrijk
Ghent
Ghent
Antwerp
Antwerp
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Travel from Ghent to brussels,bruges and antwerp

I'm looking at staying at the NH Gent St Pieter Hotel as it will be handy for the railway station. Can anyone tell me how regular the tram service is to the town center passing from the front of this hotel from the station and what do these trams cost ? Hotels in Ghent seem to be a bit cheaper than in Bruges and with my partner and I being eligible for heavily subsidised rail travel we are looking at using Ghent as our base for Bruges , Lille and Antwerp in order to cut costs a little bit further still .Is this a good plan ? I had planned to get the Eurostar to Brussels on the way in and catch it late from Lille on the way back to London.

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Bruges
Bruges
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
Antwerp
Antwerp
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
London
London
England, UK
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,923 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Travel from Ghent to brussels,bruges and antwerp

No. 1 tram runs roughly every 10 minutes or so, although I couldn't vouch for this frequency late at night. A single ticket costs €1.20 if you buy it in advance e.g. from machines at the station, €2 if you buy it on the tram. For other possibilities see delijn.be/en/vervoerbewijzen/types/index.htm

As regards your being "eligible for heavily subsidised rail travel", I assume you mean over 65. However, you should just bear in mind that Belgian Railways' "senior ticket" conditions (b-rail.be/nat/…index.php) only apply within Belgium: so while you could save a couple of euros using a "senior ticket" for Brussels-Brugge instead of buying Eurostar's ABS fare (although I can see no advantage if you wouldn't be using it to return to Brussels), you can't use this fare to Lille. Cost for that trip is €15.80 (IC).

With respect to taking the Eurostar from Lille to London, of course coming from Ghent you will arrive at Lille-Flandres and have to walk 10 minutes or so to Lille-Europe to connect to Eurostar; alternatively, you could just take the Eurostar from Brussels (or TGV, which also arrives at Lille-Europe).

Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
London
London
England, UK
Europe
Europe
World
TGV
TGV
1,363 Reviews
Paris, France
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,923 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Travel from Ghent to brussels,bruges and antwerp

P.S. €15.80 = price of a single ticket from Ghent to Lille, irrespective of age of traveller, from http://www.b-europe.com/Travel

You could, however, use a Senior ticket (€5.20) for Gent St. Pieters to Mouscron plus separate a ticket for Mouscron (last stop before French border coming from Ghent/Kortrijk) to Lille-Flandres (€6), which would reduce the total cost for this journey to €11.20. And you should be able to buy both tickets in Ghent so that you don't have to get off the train in Mouscron - although I would just check this at the station in Ghent, e.g. the day before, to avoid any nasty surprises at the last minute.

Edited: 27 May 2011, 12:37
Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
Kortrijk
Kortrijk
Cheshire
Level Contributor
32 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Travel from Ghent to brussels,bruges and antwerp

If I'm travelling on a Sunday from Brussels Airport to Ghent then back to the Airport on Thursday, should I buy single train tickets for each journey or can a return ticket be bought and would this be cheaper?

Mentioned in this post
Brussels Airport
Brussels Airport
Zaventem, Belgium
Ghent
Ghent