We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Arras, driving to Ghent times

Which Ghent hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Arras, driving to Ghent times

Hello.

My thanks in anticipation of any help.

Planning to stay in Arras region in a Gite for a week in September. We spent a day in that area a couple of years ago as tourists although my husband had been many times on business and realised we'd like to stay longer in the future. So booked it.

Now looking at a "taster" of Belgium while we are there to see where we would like to stay and see more for future trips.

Been before, but only driven through on the way to France, never stopped, how bad are we?

We will enjoy the memorial sites in France but we really enjoy art, architecture and nice places to eat.

We can get a" free" night on points at an hotel in Ghent. Your advice is needed on the driving times I have googled as we intend to drive from Arras to Bruges, then stay in Ghent, then go to Brussels before driving back to Arras.

I have found:

Arras - Bruges 1hr 30

Bruges - Ghent 45 mins

Ghent - Brussels 45 mins

Brussels - Arras 1.45 mins

My hubby drives like a local, no worries there!

Realise that our 2 day trip from France will only be a taster so we can plan a future trip but are these driving times realistic before we book the Ghent hotel?

Sincere thanks for any input

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,854 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Arras, driving to Ghent times

You can use www.viamichelin.com - it says 55 mins from Brugge to Gent, which is nearly twice as long as the train, but presumably city centre to city centre (except that you can't park in the city centre in Brugge anyway, and will probably be looking for some time in Gent...).

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Arras, driving to Ghent times

Thanks for that, I can see what you mean on the time on train versus car, but we don't have to pay for fuel - company car - hence we'd rather drive. Is it possible to park on Brugge outskirts and get public transport? Or would that cost as much as parking in Ghent at the hotel and going all the way by train?Also would we have the same parking problem in Brussels?

Thanks again

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,854 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Arras, driving to Ghent times

1) "Is it possible to park on Brugge outskirts and get public transport?"

You're obliged to park outside the centre anyway - you'll see signs wherever you arrive from - but Brugge is tiny, you can walk from there. Or, if you use the car park next to the station (which I think is also the cheapest, at around €3.50 for the day) this includes use of the bus from there to Markt/Burg.

2) "would that cost as much as parking in Ghent at the hotel and going all the way by train"

I don't know how much it is costing you to park at the hotel in Ghent! (In Brussels ALL hotels charge for parking except a few well outside the city centre.) But if you're not paying for that or for fuel, I presume it couldn't, given that you would also be paying for the tram to the station in Ghent. A return train ticket from there to Brugge would cost €12.40 on weekdays, €7.20 on a Sat or Sun.

3) "would we have the same parking problem in Brussels?"

Not the same problem as in Brugge, because there is no ban on cars coming into the city centre, but of course the same in principle, in terms of paying for parking, at higher rates. You could leave the car at e.g. Heysel, near the Atomium (exit 7A from the Brussels Ring, see http://www.brusselsexpo.be/exen/site/accessibility-car.aspx). There is free parking between the Brussels Expo buildings and the Atomium, next to Heysel metro station. Otherwise, there are of course multi-storey car-parks in the city centre, see e.g. interparking.com/Public/ParkingDetails.aspx… (€2.30 for one hour, €14.60 for 9-24 hrs).

For the sake of comparison, a return train ticket from Ghent to Brussels - where Gare centrale is 5 mins walk from the Grand' Place - costs €17 on a weekday, €9.40 on a Sat or Sun.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Arras, driving to Ghent times

Thanks so much - for a really thorough and helpful answer, which helps a lot.

Brugge Station car park and bus sounds the best option.

Brussels multistorey car park at 14.60 is actually quite reasonable, much less than London and even Leeds for city centre.

I think I'll just ask you to come with us, as our personal expert!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Arras, driving to Ghent times

Sorry, if you are confused - still me, just on a different computer which for some reason gives me a different TA account.

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Arras, driving to Ghent times

If I read things correctly, you have allowed 2 days?

Day1 spend the day in Bruges you will love it. At the end of the day travel on to Ghent.

Day 2 spend the day in Ghent, imo nicer than Bruges because there are less tourists. Plenty of central parking btw, and again compared to London prices very cheap.

Will you have time for Brussels?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Arras, driving to Ghent times

l agree with junglejim, Gent is much nicer and more vibrant than Brugge but its still worth spending some time there, prepare for high 'tourist' prices.

We parked in a car park near our lovely hotel in Brugge 'The Aragon hotel' and it was 18euro for 2 days and nights, very reasonable we thought and it was only steps away from the hotel doors.

In Gent we parked in the hotel car park for 24hours, again very reasonable and secure. Our hotel in Gent was the Sandton Grand Reylof which we would highly recommend and we got an upgrade to a deluxe room and superb breakfast for 119euro.

Edited: 10 August 2012, 22:17
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Arras, driving to Ghent times

Fitznlil, my husband also drives like a local but driving in Ghent is tricky as its all one way systems and there were diversions when we were there last week which meant we drove around in circles for at least an hour as we were looking for a last minute hotel booking, nightmare but we found the best in the end, IMHO, with the Sandton hotel.

Edited: 10 August 2012, 22:19
9. Re: Staying in Arras, driving to Ghent times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2013, 10:17