We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A weekend - without the jazz!

UK
Level Contributor
135 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
A weekend - without the jazz!

We are visiting Ghent next weekend when the jazz festival is on but only one of our party is going to the jazz festival. My teenage daughter and I are going to enjoy the city instead for the weekend - we just need some help with planning what to visit when and where to eat - there are so many restaurants listed where do we start. We would like a casual atmosphere - maybe the possibility to eat outside if the weather is nice! Any other hints or tips gratefully appreciated - we will be there 3 days. Many thanks.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A weekend - without the jazz!

Most restaurants in the downtown area all have outside sitting options, the nicest are the ones on Korenlei and Graslei, but of course the seats are taken up rather quickly.

One place which serves and sells local products is Groot Vleeshuis, even if you don't eat there a look at the place is worth it. Of course not to miss is the castle Gravensteen and the Belfry. Belfry has two option to get tothe top, for the sporty types, walk and for the others take the elevator to the top.

Too bad the outside of the St Baafs Cathedral is covered but the inside is still more than worth a visit.

One of the local dishes are Waterzooi, a creamy soup with veggies and either chikcen or soup and stoverij, a stew usually served with fries. For the last one I can recommend t'Vosken.

Plenty of chocolate places but to me the best ones downtown are both close to the belfy, one even right next to it.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,042 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A weekend - without the jazz!

If you are interested in looking through the shops, do it on Saturday because they are closed on Sundays--or at least they were in April.

3. Re: A weekend - without the jazz!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 07:17