We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of pickpocketing in Gent-Sint-Pieters

Which Ghent hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Heidelberg, Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of pickpocketing in Gent-Sint-Pieters

On 9th Sep, my father's wallet was stolen on a bus at Gent-Sint-Pieters station.

Thing goes like this: two women went on a bus and developed some problem with their tickets or whatever that could attract people's attention. Then, another young girl, who pretended lining up with a few euros in her hand and a jacket hanging onto her arm, sneaked her fingers into others bag or pockets. When she got what she wanted, she would leave the bus just like being inpatient with those two troublesome women. And, her two fellows would make some excuse to leave the bus as well.

Considering the race issues, I should not describe specifically about their appearance. And, of course, they would change their cloth. So, just beware of uncommon events, such as people who speak fluent Flemish or French and dress unlike tourists, but seem too unfamiliar with the local bus/train/tram system. Also, beware of people who get too close to you no matter how many people are there. Then, last suggestion is, (for women) carrying a bag with many zippers ,and (for men) never never NEVER put your wallet in your back-pocket.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,541 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of pickpocketing in Gent-Sint-Pieters

Happens all over the world (including, I dare say, even in Heidelberg). Sorry your father got caught.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
46,158 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of pickpocketing in Gent-Sint-Pieters

Yes, one should be alive to the possibility of pickpockets everywhere. It is not just limited to Barcelona or other big cities...

Heidelberg, Germany
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of pickpocketing in Gent-Sint-Pieters

It was funny (sorry to say that, though) that one of my friends, who lived in Barcelona, had her purse stolen in Brussels... she thought, after living in the notorious Barcelona for those months and successfully keeping everything safe, she could survive in other cities in Europe. Yet, her purse was stolen right after she arrived Brussel Centraal.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
435 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of pickpocketing in Gent-Sint-Pieters

Yes, indeed this happens all over the world. A few years back I came across a woman making a huge scene at a money exchange just off the Charles Bridge in Prague. At the time, I didn't realize what was probably going on but now I am pretty certain that she had an accomplice working over the crowd that was gathered watching the spectacle. Luckily, I had everything of worth zipped securely in my backpack and by pure luck I was backed up against a wall. but since then I have thoroughly educated myself on all types of scams so as to hopefully avoid being take advantage of.

The one problem though is proximity... you mention to be wary of people getting to close to you but as an American, it seems almost everyone in Europe is naturally comfortable being closer to someone than here in the US. So, just because someone gets close to you on a train or whatever doesnt necessarily mean that they are trying to pickpocket you but certainly you should be aware of your surroundings.

Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of pickpocketing in Gent-Sint-Pieters

I lived very close to saint Peters station for two years. I never once had a problem. Sometimes you are unlucky. Happen to a friend of mine in London. Don't let this put you off gent. It's an undiscovered gem in my opinion.

6. Re: Beware of pickpocketing in Gent-Sint-Pieters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Ghent