We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

break between Xmas and NY

Which Ghent hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
break between Xmas and NY

Does anybody know what the vibe is in Ghent between Christmas and New Year? I'm thinking of taking my boyfriend away for his xmas present and stay between 27th - 30th but i'm not sure if it's a city that shuts down during this time?! Thanks in advance for any helpful comments!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,884 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: break between Xmas and NY

There are no public holidays between those dates so shops are open (except on Sundays e.g. 29/12), as are museums (except on Mondays e.g. 30/12): but the universities are closed so students will be away and places catering to them will obviously be quieter.

You can check out specific museums that interest you on www.visitgent.be/en/museum-fine-arts… - clicking on the museum/monument concerned, then the tab "practical information", then "Show full calendar" so as to see December (St. Baaf's cathedral, for the "Mystic Lamb", is open all day on each of these days except the Sunday, when it is only open in the afternoon).

I don't think canal boat tours are not likely to be running (unless by any chance it is sunny), but see visitgent.be/en/boat-trips-ghents-inland-wat… or ask at the tourist office near the Gravensteen/Castle of the Counts. "Christmas" activities, on the other hand, continue until 5/1, with a (small!) big wheel in front of St. Baaf's cathedral, ice rink at the Stadshal (town hall) and small market in Korenmarkt, which will also be open on 29/12.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: break between Xmas and NY

Everything you want to know about Xmas festivities in Gent, which by the way are bigger than last year and now centralised in the historical center of Gent.

As for the students being gone, that will not affect the atmosphere of the cith since most of the places they tend to frequent are outside the city center. Come to Gent and have a great time.

http://www.gentsewinterfeesten.be/en/

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,884 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: break between Xmas and NY

Delete "not" in first line, last paragraph of #1! Incidentally snow is being predicted for this evening (in Brussels at any rate), heaven knows what the weather will be like at the end of December.

4. Re: break between Xmas and NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 05:17