We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train between Ghent and Paris

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
93 posts
194 reviews
Save Topic
Train between Ghent and Paris

Is there any difference in fare if I wait until the day I travel to purchase my train ticket? Where can I find the schedule for direct trains between the two cities?

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train between Ghent and Paris

<Is there any difference in fare if I wait until the day I travel to purchase my train ticket?>

Yes. Tickets for the high-speed Thalys or TGV trains are "dynamically" priced like plane tickets. You can buy tickets up to 3 months in advance: the sooner you buy, the cheaper they are. Tickets bought on the day of travel are expensive. Look up the cost of a journey tomorrow (for example) on the website below.

<Where can I find the schedule for direct trains between the two cities?>

http://tinyurl.com/oafxnq2

To: Paris Nord (Fr)

There are no direct trains. You always have to change in either Brussels ("Thalys") or Lille ("TGV").

Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
East Flanders Province, Belgium
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train between Ghent and Paris

The only train to Paris (apart from TGV to Paris-CDG airport) is the expensive high-speed Thalys, which departs from Brussels twice-hourly and only once a day, on weekdays - 06:53. At other times you simply take normal IC train to Bruxelles-Midi and change there for Thalys.

For the Ghent-Brussels ticket, if purchased separately, it makes no difference whether you buy a ticket in advance or on the day of travel, but for Thalys it makes a huge difference as fare structure for this train is like airlines, i.e. the longer you wait the more you will pay: for cheapest fare you need to book as early as possible within 90 days of departure. See www.b-europe.com/Travel using Gent St. Pieters as departure station and Paris-Nord as destination, for your exact dates if this is within the next 3 months.

In addition, if you purchase this ticket at Gent St. Pieters (or any other Belgian) station rather than online, you will pay an administrative fee of €7 on top of the cost of the ticket.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
TGV
TGV
1,317 Reviews
Paris, France
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Charles De Gaulle Airport
Roissy-en-France, France
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Ghent
Ghent
Hanoi, Ha Noi...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train between Ghent and Paris

In fact, there are direct Thalys trains (number 9308, 9370, 9376) between Ghent and Paris that you don't have to change the train.

Edited: 22 November 2013, 19:57
Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train between Ghent and Paris

As I already said: there is a direct Thalys from Gent St. Pieters to Paris once a day on weekdays at 06:53 (according to b-europe: Thalys itself says 06:50 - which would appear to be the time this train ARRIVES in Ghent), which is no. 9308, departing Oostende at 06:09. Cost for Monday 25 November is €100 - for Gent St. Pieters to Paris (same for a through-ticket covering IC train to Brussels and Thalys from there, although cheaper tickets may be available for some departures).

The (17:28) 9370 on Sundays and the (06:53) 9308 and (18:28) 9376 on Saturdays have ceased appearing in Belgian Railways' international timetable (and other international timetables, e.g. DB), although for some reason they continue to do so on the Thalys website. From previous experience, I would believe the b-europe.com and DB (http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en) sites, as this is not the first time that direct trains have been suspended during the winter: but if you prefer, this is the Thalys timetable site: https://www.thalys.com/be/en/

Edited: 22 November 2013, 20:40
Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Ghent, Belgium
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train between Ghent and Paris

Thalys tickets Brussels - Paris cover the trip from any Belgian station to Brussels South. No need to buy a seperate ticket, just buy the Thalys ticket with the option (I believe you cannot even buy it without this option)

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train between Ghent and Paris

Sorry, but while that was true in 1997 when Thalys began operations between Paris and Brussels, it didn't last very long! It has not been possible for many years now to use a Brussels-Paris Thalys ticket on a train between Ghent and Brussels. And if you purchase an ABS ticket, it would not then be a Brussels-Paris ticket, but a Ghent (or other Belgian station) - Paris ticket!

A simple check on www.b-europe.com would show you that when, e.g. booking today for tomorrow, a Brussels-Paris ticket costs €99, changing the departure point to Gent St. Pieters with the same Thalys departure from Bruxelles-Midi raises the price to €106 - the €7 difference being the ABS supplement. Which happens to be cheaper than the one-way standard fare of €8.70, but not, of course, than the Seniors ticket or Go-Pass 1 at €6.

Edited: 11 December 2013, 21:54
Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Ghent
Ghent
7. Re: Train between Ghent and Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Ghent