We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Ghent from Brussels - trains and trams

Which Ghent hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Doncaster
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Ghent from Brussels - trains and trams

I know there have been a lot of questions in relation to this topic but i'm getting a bit confused by all the answers, any information would be great.

* My Eurostar ticket is from London to Ghent. I have to change at Brussels. From reading the Forum I believe the Eurostar will arrive at Bruxelles-Midi and I need to go to Gent-Sint-Pieters Station. Which train do I get the Ghent? How many stops on the route is Gent-Sint-Pieters? Will the announcements be in English?

* When I arrive at Gent-Sint-Pieters Station I think I get the number 1 tram to the city, this is from platform 2 - is this correct? Where do I get off if I am staying at the Marriot hotel?

* For the return journey I just reverse each of the above actions - any other notes?

Any information would be great.

Thanks

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,871 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Ghent from Brussels - trains and trams

1. Yes Eurostar arrives at Bruxelles-Midi and you want to go to Gent-Sint-Pieters Station - this station being the only stop in Ghent on the lines between Brussels and the coast. If you take one of the twice-hourly IC (InterCity) trains headed for Oostende or Knokke/Blankenberge, these stop only at Gent St. Pieters and Brugge before their final destination so you get off at the first stop (you can also take IR trains headed for De Panne, when GSP is also the first stop after Bruxelles-Midi); however there are also slower trains which would stop at several other stations in between. Announcements at the station and on board the train will of course be in local languages, i.e. French and Dutch.

2. You take tram #1 direction Wevelgem or Evergem (NOT Flanders Expo), from stand #2 outside GSP station, see map on delijn.be/images/…20web_tcm7-32588.pdf. For the Marriott follow directions on the hotel's own website which gives the stop as Korenmarkt: http://marriottghent.be/hotels/travel/GNEMC-ghent-marriott-hotel/pdf/Gent%20Flanders%20Expo%20-%20Evergem%20Brielken%20Lijn%201%20-%20Tram%20stops(2).pdf - you then need to take the bridge to Korenlei, as you can see from the map: marriottghent.be/hotels/…hotel-fact-sheet.asp

3. Yes and no

Doncaster
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Ghent from Brussels - trains and trams

All the information I need, very informative. Thank you.

3. Re: Travelling to Ghent from Brussels - trains and trams

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:17