We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short visit

Which Ghent hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Short visit

Hello all. I will be visiting Ghent for the first time this June. Primarily I want to see the Ghent Altarpiece/Saint-Bavo cathedral, but I also understand Ghent to be a kind of cool/hip place to visit. I wanted to know what area or neighborhood would be best to seek accommodation in, I'm arriving by train from Brussels and departing by train to Brugge. I've got 8 days in Belgium and I am planning on stopping in Brussels-Ghent-Brugge-Antwerp. Is two days enough for Ghent? Too much?

Any advice appreciated :)

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Short visit

Gent is more than doable in two days. As for where to stay, seems to me you have two options, close to train station (less desirable to actually visit all the sights) but exellent for train travels or downtown, which would require some tram riding to get to, but you would be smakc in the thick of things you want and need to visit. A visit to Gent is not complete without a visit to the Gravensteen (medieval castle).

Nottingham, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short visit

The Ghent River hotel is great and in the old part of the city near the sights. It's an easy taxi ride from the train.

3. Re: Short visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2015, 06:18