We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What food item is not to miss in Belgium??

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What food item is not to miss in Belgium??

If you had to suggest one food specialty I MUST try while in Ghent what would it be??

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What food item is not to miss in Belgium??

Neuzen

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What food item is not to miss in Belgium??

"Neuzen" are known in French as cuberdons, and presumably an acquired taste, as the only people I know who like them are Belgians - and that's probably about nostalgia for their childhood.

If you are talking about a specific local (GHENT) dish, it has to be waterzooi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterzooi

Edited: 17 May 2014, 17:08
Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What food item is not to miss in Belgium??

hi Qaminari

Never ate any noses or cuberdon while young, yet like them...

however share your opinion on Waterzooi - my Mum would do a Waterzooi with fish - delicious.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What food item is not to miss in Belgium??

Looked that up does that mean nose and if so what's nose?

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What food item is not to miss in Belgium??

It's candy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuberdon

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What food item is not to miss in Belgium??

I'm Irish and my friend is French and we LOVED the Neuzons in Ghent.

We had a good fish Waterzooi in Chez Leontine but I'm sure there are other places???

Glen Rock, New...
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What food item is not to miss in Belgium??

Hi... here are some other ideas for you...

Rabbit.. either in a beer sauce with prunes or with a creamy mustard sauce

Stoofvlees... beef stew cooked in Beer, can also be made with pork.

Horse steak...a delicious meat, I believe Contrast Restaurant has it on their menu, They are near the orange canon- old Meg, and the Vrijdag Markt Square.

KaasKroketten.. fried cheese, great appetizer, made with Emmentaler and Gruyere, not Mozzerella.. alot of cafes have this on their menu.

Pasta, I know it may sound strange,but the pasta in Ghent is reaaly good, especially the Spaghetti Carbonara at Twilight.

All you can eat Ribs at Amadeus...amazing and a bargain at 15.95 euros. I like the one near the Belfort, as they are open for lunch on Sundays. And the interior of the restaurant is beautiful, art nouveau with old time music playing... really good choco mousse too!

Pannekoeken... again in alot of the cafes but usually an afternoon treat with coffee. They're close to a French Crepe but smaller and generally served with jam or brown sugar and butter.

Let's not forget the waffles...2 fifferent types, the Brussels wafel is light and airy, again in the cafes as an afternoon treat and then the Leige wafel the is more of a street food, dense and rich with pearl sugar... here wafels are not for breakfast!

Jenerver... dangerous yummy, any flavor you want Gin! Best at the Dreupolkot- sorry for the bad spelling.

Next door is the Bierhuis-Waterhuis an de Bierkant- which have a terrific selection of beers but also have little snack, like chhese and salami that comes with a side of Tierenteyn Mustard.. watch out, it's hot! You can buy this mustard only at the shop just on the other side of the square where they pour it fresh for you from the barrel... under 2 euros for a small plastic container... they say to keep it cool, but it will be fine otherwise, just remember to put it into your check-in luggage as it is considered a liquid.

And finally, there are Snowballs...a most delightful confection, I highly recommend this! Best shop is Chocolaterie de Graslei..great little shop just around the corner from the Spijker Bar.

ENJOY!

DC
Level Contributor
74 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What food item is not to miss in Belgium??

Will menus distinguish between the fish version of waterzooi and the chicken version? (My husband eats fish and seafood but not meat or poultry.)

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What food item is not to miss in Belgium??

Joan the distinction is fairly clear.

Excuse my Dutch but if I remember fish is 'vis'...otherwise ask.

Can't BELIEVE this thread has gone so far without me mentioning chocolate.

In Ghent you MUST visit Yuzu and also the lovely Hilde Devoler.

In Brussels ( and also here in Paris) Pierre Marcolini is a personal fave.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What food item is not to miss in Belgium??

Thanks so much that was fun!