We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghent to Schiphol

Which Ghent hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ghent to Schiphol

Hi,

I need to get from Ghent to Schiphol. Should I look up tickets to Antwerpen and than to Schihol or should I search for the tickets from Ghent? I'm confused with different options. I found that there are Thalys trains from Antwerpen and local trains from Ghent but also have read that there are other companies to travel from Antwerpen to Schiphol. I'm also not sure what's better money-wise - look up tickets from Ghent or two tickets to Antwerpen and than to Ghent. I realize that there is no direct train from Ghent anyway.

Thank you!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,938 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghent to Schiphol

It's not so much a matter of "company" as of types of train. The high-speed Thalys runs from Paris/Brussels to Antwerp, Schiphol and Amsterdam, but there are also non-high-speed (IC) trains on that route. Ghent, however, is not on the Thalys route to Amsterdam, so you have to take an IC train to connect with the Thalys in Antwerp.

That means you have 2 options: IC trains all the way (possibly with additional changes) or IC as far as Antwerp only, and Thalys from there. Both will show up, with prices for the date in question (as these vary for Thalys, depending on how far in advance you can book) when you simply search timetable sites (e.g. www.b-europe.com = Belgian Railways) for Ghent-Schiphol, which is the journey you want to do: and whichever option you choose, you want to buy a through-ticket covering the whole journey.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghent to Schiphol

Thank you!

Could you please help me more?

I'm checking the options now and see that I can take a train with the following details:

10:43 Antwerpen Centraal

11:52 Rotterdam Centraal IC 1222

11:54 Rotterdam Centraal

12:20 Schiphol (Airport) IC 925

Does it mean that I have to change the trains? How can I find it? I think it's impossible to change the trains in two minutes even if they arrive perfectly on time. Why do the suggest this option than?

Thank you!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,938 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ghent to Schiphol

Yes, of course it means you have to change trains! They are different train numbers. And it is not at all impossible to change trains in 2 minutes, especially when you merely have to cross the platform to the other side, as is most likely the case here. If it's the same as current timing for 10:36 departure from Antwerp, the change would be from platform (track) 11 to 12, which are 2 sides of the same platform. See tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188632-i840-k7292…

For tomorrow (I don't know what day of the week you are looking for: if there is a 10:43 train, it's not on a weekday but I'm not going to do multiple searches to try to discover when it might be!), the timing would be as follows:

- Antwerpen Centraal: dep 10:36 IC 1222

- Rotterdam Centraal: arr 11:52 (platform 11)

- Transfer time 2 min.

- Rotterdam Centraal: dep. 11:54 (platform 12) ICD 925

- Schiphol (Airport): arr 12:20

In any case, as has been explained many times in this forum, when travelling by normal, e.g. IC, trains, you are not booked on a specific departure but can take any trains you like on that date, on the route in question. That means that if you would prefer more time at Rotterdam, all you need to do is to take an earlier train from Antwerp. If the website you are using doesn't have a button "adjust the transfer time" within the proposed selection, just do a search for Antwerp to Rotterdam on the date in question.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 15:16
4. Re: Ghent to Schiphol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 06:17