We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

P&O Mini cruise Hull to Bruges

South Yorkshire
13 posts
Save Topic
P&O Mini cruise Hull to Bruges

We went to Bruges on a mini-cruise this week, thought I would share our experiences.

We arrived at Hull far too early, I would recommend getting there no earlier than 5pm, we couldn't board the boat until then and there is literally nothing to do whilst you wait!

The boat itself was really nice, we had the cheapest kind of cabin which was tiny but served it's purpose!

We had purchased meal vouchers prior to the trip, we upgraded to Langans restaurant on the 1st night, really recommend, lovely food and very attentive service. However we were disappointed with the buffet which we visited on the 2nd night. I would definitely say it is worth the extra £4 to upgrade!

One more thing, make sure you take enough cash for the evening, there is a cash machine on board but it wasn't working when we were there (and it only works when you are in English water anyway).

Bruges was lovely, would recommend going up the tower in the main square (sorry can't remember what it's called). It was 8E or 4E if you are 25 or under. Also it's worth going on a canal trip, lasts about half an hour i think it was about 7E each.

If you are going here soon, enjoy!

Kate

Mentioned in this post
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: P&O Mini cruise Hull to Bruges

Hi Katemcm. I always use Langans when on board. You do not have to have meal vouchers to use it, but you should book a table as you go on board. The cost of the meal depends on your choise of meal. It can be about the same as the four seasons self servive restaurant, but it's about £10/£15 more PP for us with wine and drinks. You can use CC/DC in all bars,shops and restrurants on board, £5 min spend. You can use your DC with passport to withdraw £s from the purser's office when open. ian480.

Manchester
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: P&O Mini cruise Hull to Bruges

Hi - I understand the P&O coach service drops-off & picks-up at Bruges Central Station?

How far is it to walk into the Centre from Central Station and do you know if there are any hotels within walking distance, as we are looking to spend 1 night in Bruges.

Thanks for your help in anticipation.

Mentioned in this post
Bruges
Bruges
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: P&O Mini cruise Hull to Bruges

The station is close to the main tourist areas of the old city, the minnewater is just across the road, the Markt square a further 15 minute walk.

The Zand area is 5 - 10 mins walk too.

If you don't wish to wlak there are regular buses, and plent of taxis.

Most of the Hotels that you will find on the many hotel finig website will be very well situated for all the sites.

Once you have narrowed down your hotel options there are plenty of people on here who will be able to give you the benefit of their experiences of Bruges.

Mentioned in this post
The Markt
The Markt
4,701 Reviews
Bruges, Belgium
'T Zand
'T Zand
335 Reviews
Bruges, Belgium
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: P&O Mini cruise Hull to Bruges

Try the Ibis in Bruges you can get a taxi from the ferry bus drop off, the hotel is about 1 mile away. The hotel is about 300/400 yards from the main square. if what any info about the ferry just get back. ian480.

Manchester
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: P&O Mini cruise Hull to Bruges

Thanks for the quick responses!

Will check out the Ibis and recommended hotels on trip advisor to find the best centrally located hotel. Want to be close to the action as will only have 2 days to explore Bruges. Although it appears that Bruges is quite compact anyway...

Do you know whether you can pay for drinks etc on the ferry with Euros as well as Sterling?

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Bruges
Bruges
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: P&O Mini cruise Hull to Bruges

Yes you can pay in Euro's BUT it will cost you more. If your round is more then £5 you can pay with your Debit card. ian480.

Leeds
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: P&O Mini cruise Hull to Bruges

Hi,

Me and my partner are going on the P and O mini cruise in september to bruges. Ive been on the ships before with my family when I was younger whilst heading to the South of France and Germany but have never used them as day trips. Need a little help.

I understand from your comments that bruge is a lovely place but was wondering if anyone had anymore tips or ideas about what to do for the day. I like the sound of the canal trip but wondered what else you'd recommend? any nice restaurants, cafes, museums? Ive heard there's a chocolate museum...is it true?

Thanks in advance

Clare

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,123 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: P&O Mini cruise Hull to Bruges

Clare,

do some searching on this site and the internet to find out about restaurants and chocolate.

Bruges isn't a big place. You can wander round and just enjoy yourself.

relax.

lancashire
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: P&O Mini cruise Hull to Bruges

Hi Kate

Friend and I are doing the mini cruise 20th Nov with overnight stay at the T-Zand hotel. I dont seem to be able to find a menu with prices for the Langdons restaurant on board the ship - just samples - is it average priced or more ie starters £5 ish mains £10-£15 ? Just want to get it right. Also can you recommend restaurant in Bruges - I have looked at some websites and some prices seem a bit steep (although we are aware it wont be cheap) just something halfway decent. Thanks for the advice on not getting to Hull too early either. We are only about 1hr 40 mins away anyway so may set off earlier in the day but go somewhere en-route.

Thanks for help

Helen

Mentioned in this post
'T Zand
'T Zand
335 Reviews
Bruges, Belgium
Bruges
Bruges
West Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: P&O Mini cruise Hull to Bruges

Useful thread for me to read as I am going on the 20th- taking my son for a chocolate and moules eating trip!!!

I have been to Bruges before but many years ago - and from what I remember it isn't a huge place.

Hoping to go on a canal trip - haven't planned any further than that!!!!Thanksxx