We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruges to Damme

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Bruges to Damme

Hi,

Off back to Bruges next month. I've read on here about a trip to Damme. Has anyone done this? Is it worth doing for a day or half a day? Looking on Google maps Damme appears to be a tiny place so just wondering if there's much to see.

All thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

London
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bruges to Damme

I did this trip on the boat last year.

I went mid-week in September and anything of interest was either closed or being renovated!

The town is indeed very small but there are a couple of pleasant restaurants for lunch but that was about it.

If you have limited time, I would recommend staying in Bruges.

Wingene, Belgium
Level Contributor
455 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bruges to Damme

Damme is a nice historic small town with half a mile of streets with good restaurants.

belgium
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bruges to Damme

Damme is indeed very small, but worth the effort with a bike to go to (bikes are for rent everywhere) It has some nice bikeroutes in the surroundings. And the bikes can be put on the steamboat back to Brugge. A cityhall, nature reservation and good restaurants. Not to forget the bookshops. check-out the website of damme to see the dates of the bookmarkets (on sundays).

So it is a daytrip if you comnine it with a nice bike ride.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bruges to Damme

Thanks all for the advice. Sounds like Damme is a nice place to have a look around for half a day or so.

London
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
815 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bruges to Damme

I believe one of the main reasons to visit Damme is that it is a pretty place a reasonable cycling distance (particularly for those who haven't ridden a bike in a while) from Bruges along a pretty route that keeps you away from cars for about 95% of the way which is ideal for families.

And, if you time it right, if the ride out has been too much you can pop the bikes on the boat and cruise back.

Stockport England
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,565 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bruges to Damme

Damme is a pretty little village, and a nice cycle from Bruges, alond the canal.

You could easily visit Damme in the morning, either get lunch in one of the few, but nice, bars and be back in Bruges in time to do some of the sights.

Enjoy.

Newcastle UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bruges to Damme

Actualy did this trip last week.

My wife and I hired bikes and rode the cycle track following the outer canal up to the north of town. Easy to cross the ring road and then dedicated cycle path all the way to Damme.

There and back comfortably in 4 hours (including a couple of Brugse Zot in Damme!)

There's all sorts of people cycling. Families, couples, serious road cyclists, locals and tourists alike. Wouldn't have missed it.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bruges to Damme

All sounds great. Was considering the trip on the boat there and back as on this visit to Bruges we'll have the in-laws with us so cycling would be out of the question in this instance.

Think for this trip we'll stick in Bruges though and do the cycle route next time we visit on our own.

Thanks all for the advice

Cheers

Rob

9. Re: Bruges to Damme

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2010, 05:17