We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Charleroi to Bruges?

Ireland
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Charleroi to Bruges?

Hey, I'm travelling to Bruges in January and was wondering if anyone knows of the best way to get from Charleroi Airport to Bruges? Thanks!

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Charleroi to Bruges?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g188671-i448-k32…

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Charleroi to Bruges?

Train is the easist way! just over an hour to brugge and the trains will leave nearly every hour so no need to book ahead, just buy a ticket at the station and your sorted! =) enjoy

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Charleroi to Bruges?

Myself and my partner have just returned from a fantastic trip to Bruges (Brugge) and I would just like to advise on an element of the overall journey.

Let's say you have got your deal from Ryanair (nearly all flights to/from Charleroi Airport are by Ryanair) and you arrive in Charleroi airport. There is a shuttlebus available just outside the front door that leaves every half-hour that will take you directly to the north side of Burssels - Midi train station.The journey time is approx. 55 mins. Tickets are available just inside the door at a desk with 'Ryanair' noted on it. (I don't know if it is specifically run by Ryanair but I don't think so) at a cost of €13 pp.

You have now arrived in Brussels-Midi train station. You now buy your train tickets to Bruges for €13 pp (€12.90 Actually). The trains to Bruges are every half an hour on the hour/half hour and the journey takes approx. 50 mins.

You now arrive in Bruges train station and maybe because you have been up early/or travelling a long time you decide to get a taxi to your hotel/accommodation. This might cost around €7/8 ish depending on where you are staying.

By my calculation, you will now have spent approx. €30 pp just getting from Charleroi Airport. Obviously, you have to double this to return to the airport which means that you have spent €60 pp over and above the, presumably, very chesp deal that you got for the Ryanair flights. Again, double this if there are two of you travelling - €120!

I am mentioning this for no other reason than it is an element of the journey and cost that should be considered. Each of the transport costs in themselves are not excessive but they do mount up so it's something to be aware of.

By the way, Bruges is a fantastic city'town and I would highly reccommend it for, say, a romantic break and well worth the effort.

PS. Do hire bikes and cycle out to Damme via the tow paths on the canals - absolutely brilliant.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Charleroi to Bruges?

Indeed people should consider all costs before booking a "cheap" flight, especially if it is a late arrival or early departure which may require spending the night near CRL, BUT a) this O.P. was coming to Belgium in January, so I doubt that they will be looking for a reply in March and b) as noted in the link provided in the first answer, there is in fact a flat-rate combined fare by local bus and train all the way from CRL to Brugge which costs less than doing it by Ryanair (L'Elan) coach plus train. While this fare went up last month to €19.40 single to any destination in Belgium, it is still a good deal for travel to Brugge; where just about all hotels are within walking distance either of the station or Burg/Markt, which can be reached by frequent buses from the station.

b-rail.be/nat/…index.php

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Charleroi to Bruges?

a) Thank you for your reply

b) I didn't want to start yet anothet post/thread and assumed that my post would bring the heading up to the top of the forum list

c) I appreciate that my post would obviously not assist the original poster who was arriving in Belgium in January but I felt that it might help others - see b) above.

d) Again, I do appreciste that there are always other ways of getting from placee to place (hitching? (sorry)). However, what I was trying to do was set out a senario where you were going to Bruges for a short break and you might not have too much time to spare and might just want to take the easiest route and to be aware of the costs involved.

e) I would bow to your superior knowledge on all the various methods of transport as I notice that you have placed a number of posts relative to this subject and do seem to know what you are talking about.

6. Re: Best way to get from Charleroi to Bruges?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2010, 05:16