We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary Stay in Bruges

Camberley, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Anniversary Stay in Bruges

Hi all, have been reading lots of the reviews and forum posts on here to help me plan a trip to Bruges for our 8 year anniversary. We are hoping to go over New Year, probably from 30/12 to 2/1.

I just wondered whether people felt it would be easier to drive (using Eurotunnel), get the Eurostar or fly to Bruges from England? I would ideally like to do this the cheapest way so we can spend a bit more on one of the beautiful hotels I have seen recommended on here :) I have been trying to research this myself but as a non-driver am getting very confused about petrol/parking and distances.

Any help or advise would be gratefully received,

Many thanks,

Vicky.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary Stay in Bruges

There are some trips available through coach operators in the UK like Shearings or Leger, with local pick ups and straight to the hotel in Bruges for over the festive period - some REALLY good deals with them at the moment.

Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary Stay in Bruges

Hi Vicky

Driving

If you do drive that is a good option:

Bruges is about a 90 minute drive from the Eurostar Terminal in Calais. All on motorway. Depends on what and how you drive, but you should be able to do Camberley to Bruges and back on a tank of fuel (about 400 miles round trip).

Not many hotels have car parks, but parking in the centre of Bruges is not too bad, there are a number of under ground car parks at about €8.70 per day or €2.50 to park at the railway station on the edge of town.

Eurostar

Will take you from St Pancras (or Ebbsfleet if that is easier - fewer trains stop here though) to Brussels where you need to change trains and take a train back to Bruges. It is an hour on the train from Brussels to Bruges and the cost of it is included in your Eurostar ticket.

Depends on the price you get for Eurostar tickets, that is likely to be the cheapest. Tickets for New Year have just been released. Look now as the cheapest seats will no doubt go quick.

Flying

Is a bit of a faff to be honest.

Several airlines fly Heathrow to Brussels (Zaventem)

Then train to the centre of Brussels and train to Bruges as with Eurostar

or Ryan Air to Charleroi (but not from London Airports)

With wait times at airports etc not the best option.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary Stay in Bruges

Hi,

Personally I always drive to Bruges from England via Eurotunnel. IMO it's the quickest way with the least hassle. Also means you have some extra room to bring a few beers and chocolates back ;-)

It's really straightforward. Eurotunnel is a 30-35 minute crossing and then from there Bruges is an easy 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes drive 99% of which is dual carriageways.

Parking wise I always park using my hotel (Hotel Aragon) carpark. They charge €12 per day. There is plenty of public car parks though. I've used them in the past (years ago) and not had any problems.

Door to door I believe driving to be the quickest and most hassle free way to get to Bruges.

Enjoy,

Rob

London
Level Contributor
70 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary Stay in Bruges

We find the cheapest way of all is Norfolkline Ferry - Dover to Dunkirk is around £40 per car at the moment, and then you are half-way to Bruges already, an easy drive. It takes a little longer than the Dover to Calais Ferry, and also of course longer than Eurotunnel, but the difference isn't huge.

worcester, uk
Level Contributor
444 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary Stay in Bruges

We stayed in brugge last new year (30/12-2/1 as it happens) and parked our car in the Zand underground car park for the duration. very safe and it cost approx 25 euros.

the Zand is also where the big new year sing-a-long and count down is.

One word of warning, many bars and restaurants shut on new years eve or charge 50 euros plus (per person) for the set menu.

We found that Eurotunnel is quicker but needs booking up soon as suddenly all tickets go. Expect to pay double what you would usually pay.

We left it too late last year and ended up on the seafrance boat and paid £150 return. (it was sometime out of the seventies) But this in comparision to the P & O or Norfolkline which are superior boats but where charging £200 return.

If it your anniversary, Why not treat yourself to an eurostar + hotel package. Many companies like greatescapes or cresta do deals where you can be upgraded etc.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary Stay in Bruges

If you use Tesco for shopping, maybe you have some clubcard vouchers? These can be changed for Eurotunnel vouchers equivalent to 4x their original value.

Camberley, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary Stay in Bruges

Thank you everyone :)

8. Re: Anniversary Stay in Bruges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2011, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Bruges
Recent Conversations